I am 32 flavors and then some!

Red…

I loved the Johnny Depp Story! It brought me back to my Backstreet Boys obsession. Brain was my favorite out of the five boys. He was my perfect man. Then the day came when I read in a magazine that he married his long time girlfriend. I cried for hours. HOURS! I was so convinced that we were going to be together. I did all I could to learn everything about him. It was intense. I was depressed for weeks. I think it was because I turned to them when it was an awkward time dealing with boys. Although I don’t think my obsession was much on an intellectual level as the girl felt in the story.

I found Just Watch to be very interesting. I feel the exact same way about T.V. It sucks people in and it sucks away time. It’s almost lazy in a way. Families don’t have to make any effort to connect when the T.V. is on. Don’t get me wrong. I think family movie nights are great, and I have my own “shows” that I always watch. A young girl needs the support from her family that the television takes away. Instead she will be filled with the pop culture ideals that dominate entertainment. Television just might make her miss that “what matters is the inside conversation", and she will get a head full of TMZ instead.

Queer Girls – Willow

I never watched BtVS so I knew nothing about Willow. I never stop to notice the transitions of female characters on T.V., and I will try to be more aware of it from now on. The book pointed out that most shows will devote one episode especially to a “queer” transformation. I completely agree. Sorry T.V…. we are not that simple! Who I am cannot be defined in an episode.

Queer Girl Music and Just a Girl?

Most of my girlhood I was obsessing over the Backstreet Boys. I really can’t recall one specific girl artist I was into. Maybe Gwen Stefani? I like her music, but I turned to her more as a style icon. It is actually now that I am getting into female performers. I love Ani DiFranco, but I don’t think I would have appreciated her as much when I was younger. The importance of a female rocker’s face is stressed in Just a girl?. I agree that most mainstream rocker females embody this, but I think many of the bands mentioned in the Queer Girls chapter break this mold.

Websites…

Cosmogirl.com – I was very surprised to see that there was article about getting ready for your first year of college. I don’t ever remember things like that when I read CosmoGirl. College life is in the media and entertainment more so this may be the reason.

Girl’s Rock Camp – Sign me up! I would have loved to go to a camp like this when I was a young girl. It seems like such a positive environment.

Bob and Tiger Beat- Oh my god! For some reason I thought these teeny magazines ceased to exist when the boy band trend died out. I had so much fun browsing around! It’s a lot more Hollywood oriented than it was when I was a little girl.

New Moon – I wish I had this magazine when I was a young girl. It fills me with so much joy that there is a magazine out there like this for young girls. I love the mission statement. “You won’t find diet advice or popularity contests here!” This is exactly what young girls should be reading.

Comments

Jo-Anne said…
I laughed when you stated that you thought the Tiger Beat magazine was not around anymore, because I thought the same thing! And I started thinking about any girl singers that I admired growing up but I cannot think of a single one, other than Nancy Sinatra, and I only liked her because my Dad liked Frank Sinatra. I guess that Diana Ross and the Supremes would be the next closest thing I had as examples of women artists. Back then though, the seperation of races were clearly identified and so while I admired them, I don't think I ever tried to emulate them. My first reaaization about how music was so powerful was when Helen Reddy sang "I am Woman" and all of us girls thought that it was the best song ever!

Popular posts from this blog

Film Review

Maiden, Mother and Crone by Vianny Nunez

The G[r]ay Area Between Female Friendship & Sexuality