Say "Girlhood" 5 Times Fast!

The girlhood (a work I now frequent in my blog posts) stories continue!



Reading from Red, I want to comment on a few stories in this weeks assignments from our text. The message from Emily Knox's story about being popular was simple, straight to the point. I think it's great that she learned so young- IN her girlhood - that this kind of thing is not important. A lot of girls I know (I'm 22) still struggle with that. I think that as we get older, that issue may still arise- instead of in the school, in the workplace. This is a different part of education and girls that we are talking and reading about this week- the social aspect. Another story was Sara's story, about the gay-basher. I am very passionate about LGBTQ rights. This just showed that school is another place where girls learn about dealing with other people- other close-minded people at that. As aforementioned, I am older now. When I moved to Florida, there were a group of friends that used derogatory and offensive terms often. I took the decision to impart my opinion, nicely, which sometimes turned into long conversations. My thing was, they shouldn't be used ever at all. The only thing we agreed upon was that although they weren't using the bashing terms in an "offensive" manner (something I disagree with anyway), people might still feel disrespected which would be a reason not to use such terms.



As far as middle school and high school, I was well-liked by everyone, got along with everyone, and interacted with everyone. I think that taught me something I carried with me today- to be open-minded about everyone I meet. One of my favorite quotes is "Be nice to everyone, you never know what someone else is going through." Or something like that!

"Have Cycle, Will Study" really hit home. I thought that sent an amazing message about girl power, cheesy as that may sound. The passion of the girls for having an education struck me the most. For Shalan, it was so cool that the bike actually "won" her an education, after a barrier, her parents, had set up. These girls have no barriers when it comes to their education, and I think that's so great and empowering of them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Film Review

Maiden, Mother and Crone by Vianny Nunez

The G[r]ay Area Between Female Friendship & Sexuality