I'm just a girl and that's all you'll let me be!!!!!!!

I was always the loner in school. Very different from everyone else, but too scared to let it show, so I just stayed to myself. I can relate to Sara Schelde age 14 and I can learn from her. Where I tried to disown my strange personality she embraced hers and loves herself for being different. I wish Sara had been around when I was in school, maybe I wouldn’t have hidden my weirdness, because the truthiness about it is weird is good—-its what sets you apart from the crowd and gets you noticed.

"I’m just a girl” was and still is one of the greatest songs during my girlhood. The article titled “just a girl? Rock music, Feminism, and the Cultural Construction of Female youth” attempts to make sense of what female rock musicians and what their images are invoking in girl culture. I am not totally sure what the author was trying to voice, but I think it was the fact that men own the media or music industry and men are selling the contradictory images of female rock stars, which are sexualizing young girls. Therefore, women cannot claim girlhood as their own; rather girlhood is modeled into what the men in the media visualize it to be. That being said, “I’m just a Girl” and Gwen Stefani helped me realize the struggle of women in society. I had heard of the women’s movement in school and I was living my life as a girl, but her lyrics made my life make sense. I was sick of not being able to do what I wanted BECASUSE I WAS A GIRL. My brother was younger than I and he could stay out later hang out with his friends and do whatever he wanted because he was a boy. My fathers all seeing eye was always focused on me and simply for the fact that I was a girl and that’s all he would let me be. I recognized the contradiction in Gwen, but I saw her as a powerful, attractive woman speaking out against men seeing her as an innocent helpless girl and proving to the world that she wasn’t. I think her image gave me hope for my own future and goals. So as the Butchies resonates in queer girls so too does No Doubt and Gwen Stefani in me. Music is very powerful and there have been many musicians that have helped me through tough times. That being said, I think this article was created too early. Think about female musicians in our current time. The main musicians that come to mind are Brittany Spears, Miley Cyrus, lady Gaga, and Katie Perry. I think all of these girls are way too sexualized and are sending a poor message to the girls today. I can understand looking at today’s society why the author of “just a girl, Rock music, Feminism, and the Cultural Construction of Female Youth” was so concerned about regaining girlhood as a woman’s identity. Looking at media I can see that girlhood is no longer a depiction created by a woman, but a perverse sexualized creation of man. From the girl teen magazines who focus young girls attention on young teen boys to the sexualized young teen girls displayed all over the media—Girlhood is not a woman’s tale.

Comments

Jen said…
I, too, thought Wald's article was one of the most interesting reads this past week. Wald seems to be critiquing the female rock star's ironic approach toward the expression of girlhood. In Stefani's case, the singer seemed to play both sides of the coin. On the one hand she's a beautiful platinum blond sexualized in her own right and playing on the 'innocence' of girlhood through her single "I'm Just a Girl." On the other she's is critiquing patriarchal oppression of girls through the sarcasm in her lyrics. That duality was part of the reason I admired Stefani while growing up. She seemed to be in limbo between so many different worlds and ideologies. She didn't have to be defined. That's what I took away from her.
Venessa Thomas said…
Natasha, I think in a away everyone is a loner in school, just in different ways. We all have our insecurities, its just how we decide to show them. If that makes sense. You're analyis of the article "I'm just a girl" was very in depth. I enjoyed reading what you had to say. Obviously music is very important in your life.
Mary Morley said…
I recommend Kate Nash to the high school girls I come across- she's excellent. Maybe not as "girl power"-y as Stefani used to be, but she's honest and herself and has fun songs about how it rocks to be a girl. She's also not over-sexualized (though still sexy) or stick- thin. I'm going on a tangent, but if anyone is interested check her out: http://www.katenash.co.uk/
Wow, I have my comments deleted three times due to some blogspot error. I’m typing on MS Word now! I should be a pro at what I wrote but I am not sure…
I was the oddball in high school because people wanted different but conformity. Conformity was a huge word for some reason as students struggled to find their identity. This was in New Smyrna Beach.
I never really got in to No Doubt except for the song “Spiderwebs” and I thought “I’m Just a Girl” was just some cutesy-wutesy song that annoyed the crap out of me. It was interesting to read that there is some contradiction in that song about being a girl as I never knew. “Twiddle-dum there’s no comparison.” I think critics are hard on Gwen Stefani for taking the parts of girlhood she can identify and rejecting the rest. I imagine that we all live in some kind of contradiction and shouldn’t be completely ostracized for it (as the author mentions the critics given Gwen Stefani a hard time for enjoying some of the benefits of girlhood while rejecting some of it).
My Mother was also the kind that told me how I would have more freedom if I would have been born a boy. Oh boy.
Hello said…
I understand where you are coming from when you talking about 14 year old Sara. I have quite the different personality, and have embraced my "weirdness" as well. Some personality traits about me would be considered out of the norm. I don't think any one is normal or that there is spectrum of normalcy. There is such thing of boring. But then again, who wants to be boring?

Popular posts from this blog

Film Review

Maiden, Mother and Crone by Vianny Nunez

The G[r]ay Area Between Female Friendship & Sexuality