And I Thought I Missed Something!

While doing the reading assignments this week, I really related to the Story called Packing, by Deborah Kim. My dad was in the marines and we moved every three to four years, just when I was finally getting a circle of friends, and then we would have to leave. She writes about the things she loses while packing up, and states that the “worse thing is the people” (Kim). I remember promising to keep in touch, but it never lasted very long. I figure I had a good excuse, as there were no computers or cell phones in my day, and long distance was expensive. My last move during school was in the summer between my junior and senior high school, so when Deborah talks about being in shock, and not wanting to go, I can bring myself back to that moment like it was yesterday.
So this brings me to the online readings about the prom. In my junior year we didn’t have one, and in my senior year when I had moved I went to a community college to take classes and finish early as I hated being in a new school in senior year. Needless to say, I did not get to go to any prom! Our readings said that the prom is the opportunity to “indulge themselves” in ways that they normally would not do. I always felt like I missed out on something by not going, but when I look at how commercial and patriarchal it is, maybe I really didn’t. Once again, what I am hearing is the message from everywhere saying you have to change who you are if you are going to be a woman because you are not good enough the way you are. You need to wear makeup, the right dress, get your hair and nails done, and wear shoes that kill your feet if you want to fit in.
In “Lies We Have Told” by Sarah Macintosh, I related more to her friend Kate, as that is about the age that I started using drugs and alcohol. It was when I first moved to Florida, to start my senior year in high school. (See how it all relates)? I wish I would have had Sarah as my friend, to tell me how what I was doing was wrong. But no one knew me, and I kept it that way.
I especially like the story about the girl riding their bicycles to get to school. And then I look back at how bad I thought I had it. Where was my gratitude? Maybe if I would have had to ride my bicycle to get to school I wouldn’t have had time to get in trouble? Just think how determined you would have to be to go against everyone in the village, just so you could continue your education, in a place where education in women has almost no value? That to me is something that should be admired and respected.
The website braincake.com was very interesting and I am glad there are new ways to encourage girls to do classes that are traditionally thought of as boy’s classes. I remember being told not to worry if I wasn’t good in math, because I was a girl. Isn’t that a fine way to encourage young women? Go braincake!

Comments

rinaresca said…
I believe gratitude is imperative to getting young people to recognize the great opportunities waiting to be ceased. If the school systems can find a way to get students to recognize how lucky they are to be afforded these amenities maybe petty disagreements and lack of interest will no longer rule our school systems. Let's make the kids work for their education, or something to shift their attitudes toward schooling.

Popular posts from this blog

Film Review

Maiden, Mother and Crone by Vianny Nunez

The G[r]ay Area Between Female Friendship & Sexuality