Growing up

I believe that adolescence is a tough time for all teens, no matter the gender. Everyone is trying to discover who they are, and who they want to be. The kids go through phases of styles seeing which fits them best. People get teased, and tease others. These happenings are almost an inevitable part of adolescence. This is all part of the process of growing up. I do, however, see why the studies show that girls have a harder time at this stage in life. They have more “discovering” to do. What I mean by this is this; girls have make-up, hair, and clothing options. A male’s life is more simplistic in the fact that they have fewer choices to make when it comes to looks. I feel that girls are more pressured to impress the boys. There is a simple explanation for this. At that age, boys..don’t.. care.
As far as getting attention from teachers go, I can see why boys would get more attention. It is common knowledge, and visible to the eye, that girls mature faster than boys. Most are able to handle tougher tasks without much guidance. Another reason I believe guys need more attention is because they are more prone to causing trouble. It is innate nature for a female to be caring and sweet. Most boys at that age think it is “cool” to pick on others. It is important for the teacher to keep an eye out and make sure that the level of horseplay is not too high. I do not have any solid examples from my memories of this, but just today I witnessed it. I chaperoned an event for middle schoolers and girls kept nicely to themselves, but the boys were rough-housing and teasing each other a little more than necessary. It did not surprise me. I believe that it is all instinctual for a male to act in this manner.
I must say, I can really relate to the prom article. Throughout high school, I was not very into fashion. I’m not sure if it was because I didn’t to know how to be stylish, or if it was simply because I did not care. Maybe it was a combination of the two. The reason I relate to the article is because my senior prom was the first big feminine thing I really did. They mentioned that this is a big ordeal for some girls because they never usually wore make-up, went to the salon, or dieted until the event. I was the same exact way. Up until second semester of my senior year, I did not care about dresses, or how I looked. I must admit though, for once I felt beautiful, and since that night, I put more effort into my looks. Nothing extreme, but I learned how to my make-up better, and started straightening my hair more often. Prom was not just a fun night with my friends, but more of a milestone in my life, and a change for the better.

Comments

I was a late maturer and because of this, I was ignored by many teachers in school. They had no interest in playing catch up with me because I couldn't sit still. My daughter is the same way. I think there is a percentage of girls who slip through the cracks because they are pigeon-holed. I do feel that girls try to impress the boys (and other girls for popularity) by their looks. Men don't have the option of makeup (typically). I think some boys do care but pretend not to. Sometimes I wonder if boys act out because they're allowed to much younger in life. I'm not sure just how strong testerone is and I know the amounts vary in girls as well (of testosterone, not just estrogen) if it is responsible for certain behaviors (or an imbalance). My daughter is getting nearer to puberty and another parent who has a boy about the same age, was thankful that it is less visible. However, the physical maturation is happening in boys. Physical and mental maturation are quite different.
I too was not fashion-savvy which probably contributed to my lack of interest in the prom as well.
Lela said…
sorry so late in responding to this. be careful about making assumptions related to boys, since they actually do "care" and have many concerns related to appearance and body image, though it might not be as discussed b/c guys are discouraged from talking about their feelings and are not "supposed" to care. and it's definitely NOT innate for girls to be anything...particularly more caring or "sweet." this is a dangerous assumption that has justified sexism for years. gender is constructed. we are taught that girls are supposed to be more caring, more gentle, more nurturing, while boys are supposed to be tough, insensitive, etc. These constructs only limit girls/women and boys/men, keeping us in narrow boxes. If you have not taken Intro to Women's Studies, I highly recommend it (as well as Theories of Masculinity).

Popular posts from this blog

Film Review

Maiden, Mother and Crone by Vianny Nunez

The G[r]ay Area Between Female Friendship & Sexuality