"I'm a Girl and You're a Boy...la la la la la la la la"

The link to the song above has a line in which Morrissey says "I'm a girl and you're a boy." It came to mind so I thought I would throw it in there.

I first want to go to the "scientific" considerations of sexuality and wonder if testosterone and estrogen play a role. I mention it because I am not a girlie-girl: I am not butch, I am not gay, I am not completely straight, I am not anything. I prefer men and this is the only thing in which I am certain. However, I don't have any fashion sense (Gwen Stefani) as Stacey London told me ("Why do you dress like you're Amish??") so I went to Kohls.com to help out. Haha.

How does a girl feel pretty when she can't conform to the standards of her community in terms of femininity? I admire Gwen Stefani's fashion sense (is it hers or her designers?) as it is very feminine and I have NO IDEA how she does it. "Beautiful Girl, love the dress, high school smiles OH YES" (The Violent Femmes). What a funny name for a bunch of dudes, eh?

So, I was not popular in high school and wore all black because I had no idea how to match anything. As girls, we're supposed to be able to do that (and our makeup-and our hair) naturally, right?

I personally didn't watch BTVS and the few times I saw Willow expressing her love for another girl was very unconvincing to me. I thought it very poignant about how gay males are more addressed in modern tv shows than females (even though females are more accepted and blown off as experimentation). I abhor Riot Grrls because I love melody and I hate it when girls complain. Is that conditioning, I wonder? The same with Ani Difranco--eww, eww, eww. I kick myself for being so judgmental because somewhere I think it stems from je ne sais quois. "...potentially furthers the notion that within patriarchal society women acquire attention, approval, and authority to the degree that they are willing to act like children" (Wald, 588).

I did find it interesting how many lesbians prefer mainstream music. I can relate because when a male sings about love with a female, I might love the song and reverse the roles in my mind. How does one exist as accepted without creating a space that is "other"? Also, I realized that gay clubs are one of the only spheres where everyone could potentially be attracted to one another (obviously attraction requires finding someone attractive so it is more complicated than that).

As a female "musician," I can attest that males on the average that I have encountered want all-male bands, want male lead singers. Even the band members of Paramore took some convincing to utilize a female lead singer. It's a big sausage factory-industry.

PS: This site has one cool feature: I accidentally shut my computer off while typing this at this point, and the website autosaved it.

I strongly agree with this for all genders and everything mentally and physically in between: "Understood in terms of imaginary cultural armor, music reassures girls and connects them in contexts where they are deprived recognition" (Driver 226). Also, "Music becomes a pervasive presence in their everyday lives from home to school to work to nightclubs to cyberspace, it cirsscrosses private and public spheres of experience, traveling with marginalized young people across multiple physical and imaginary spaces" (Driver, 198).

I wanted to close with this sentiment just because:

"I've found that there are two types of people in the world: those who share their music and those who keep it away from everyone else"(Goldwasser, 221).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Film Review

Maiden, Mother and Crone by Vianny Nunez

The G[r]ay Area Between Female Friendship & Sexuality