Week 3

It was in my senior year in high school that I finally decided to get off my butt and be actively involved on campus. I regret wasting the first three years on being quiet and just getting by. It was in my senior year high school that I finally felt like I was someone and doing something. In retrospect a lot of girls were like that. It’s important for young ladies to be active in sports, clubs, and music. These are what keep them actively involved in things they like and are interested in. These can help them scholarships for college. In an academic standpoint girls are improving in school, however, it’s a lot of girls with high ambition. In the honor classes and AP classes girls are very out going and very articulate, especially, with their personal opinions and beliefs. Once again I was a substitute teacher in the Orange County school system for grades k-12 for two years. Those two years helped me learn so much about young adolescents (Though, I’m no expert that’s why I am taking this class).

Prom is a time where you can play a Princess for the evening and have your Prince sweep you off your feet to have a magical evening of fun and excitement. However, Prom can be a stressful time for young girls because of the high expectations they have on finding the “perfect” dress and the “perfect” date. In addition, to making some serious choices in your life such as, drinking alcohol and having sex. These are some major issues that are dealt around prom and what it really means for teenage girls. After reading the text “Girls, Schooling, and the Discourse of Self-Change: Negotiating Meanings of the High School Prom”, It talks about the female sexuality and the changes being made during this time of girlhood. It’s a coming of age experience. They are able to show themselves off in a way they haven’t been seen before while class is in session. Also, it’s a fun time and a milestone that is being crossed. Mostly all girls love prom and want to have a good time.

Jessica Darden

Comments

Kristen said…
Jessica, I am curious to know what prom was like for you. Do you think there are any negitive aspects linked to the hype around prom? Aside from the choice to drink and have sex?
Jo-Anne said…
Hi Jessica,
I agree with you that getting involved while you are in school is a great thing to do. I see where you had some regrets about not being involved for your first three years, and I can relate to that regret, but with a little bit of a slant to it. See, when I was in high school, there were no sports for girls to be in or get scholoarships for. And since I was athletic, I felt like I didn't fit in with the other girls because it seemed to me there weren't many who were interested in sports like I was. There were no honors or AP classes,and since I was smart too, I really didn't fit in! Girls weren't particularly encouraged to be smart as I recall. So be glad you even had the opportunity for those things, and good for you for doing something different in your last year, as that's one less regret you have!

Popular posts from this blog

Film Review

Maiden, Mother and Crone by Vianny Nunez

The G[r]ay Area Between Female Friendship & Sexuality