I Hated My High School Prom

Prom. It's the day every teenage girl dreams of, right? It's that one night that supposedly defines your high school social career. All the planning that's involved, from dress shopping to after parties, is supposed to evoke feelings of excitement and anxiety. I hated it. Maybe my negative feelings towards this event that is intended to be pleasantly memorable, can attributed to the fact that I transferred schools half way through my senior year. I had trouble finding a group of people I could relate to so the thought of prom was not really high on my list of priorities. Much like Elizabeth and Deborah in the Red stories, I moved around a lot and it was difficult for me to make friends. While everyone planned for prom, I focused on school and didn't get involved too much. A few weeks before prom, my mom convinced me to go dress shopping. The experience wasn't as horrible as I had expected it to be. In the end, after some serious convincing, I went to my senior prom. I still didn't have fun; but, in a way, I'm glad I went.

It was really difficult for me to switch schools so late in my high school career. Prior to my transfer, I was a cheerleader and involved in many extracurricular activities. I never considered myself a part of the "popular" crowd. However, I hung out with the group that was classified in that way. My situation was similar to Emily's story. I think if I didn't change schools, I would have been a lot more excited about attending prom.

The story I connected most with was Rebecca's Big Shoes. During my sophomore year of high school, I lost a friend to a car accident as well. He was driving home from late at night and was hit by a drunk driver. It was a tough time for myself and my closest friends. Classes felt so empty without his usual bubbly presence. Rebecca's story reminds us to cherish every person in our lives. Tomorrow's never promised so we must remember to live each and every day to its absolute fullest.

I really enjoyed "Have Cycle, Will Study." This is a great way to help illiteracy and is such a creative way to do so. I want to research this more and see how I can help.

Comments

Jo-Anne said…
I know exactly how you felt moving in your senior year. When I moved right before mine I had the same experience, as I had been a cheerleader and on the drill team and student council. Looking back on that, from the outside it looked like I was in with the right crowd, but I never felt like I belonged. I too feel that if I hadn't of moved and had gone to my senior year where I had gone the 3 previous years, than maybe I would have been more involved.

Popular posts from this blog

Film Review

Maiden, Mother and Crone by Vianny Nunez

The G[r]ay Area Between Female Friendship & Sexuality