Not A Pretty Girl

Hey guys. My name is Nessa and I was feeling pretty low today, until I started Reading "Red". Right now I am taking six classes, and on web courses they looked the same to me. I am enrolled in Women’s Studies and Girls Studies. For some reason I thought both classes were one class. I was so confused why on the syllabus for Women’s Studies it didn't have the three books that I ordered for this class. I emailed Leandra and she told me that those books I had were the book for Girls Studies At that point, something clicked in my head. I am enrolled in another class, called Girls Studies, taught by the same professor. I think I have said "Lord Have Mercy on my soul” like a million times today!! Either way, today started out really crappy, considering I had to dish out $700.00 to get my ex-fiancee/boyfriend out of jail. Sounds weird huh? We're not fiancee's anymore but we are boyfriend and girlfriend. At least, in my eyes. After bailing him out of jail, we're laying in bed after I have realized I have to be the stupidest girl in the whole world by mixing up my college classes, and I start reading the assignments for this week. When I read the weekly readings out of "Red", I began to smile. These girls have heart and soul. It made me so happy to read what these young girls were writing. They had such confidence. I know I definitely did not have that much confidence to write what some of these girls were writing. These young girls have depth. I think that is what's so wrong with society today. We all have opinions. The only problem is that we are so scared to voice our opinions. I think of myself as an open person, but there are some crazy things that I've thought and would like to say to someone else, but I knew I would be viewed as crazy. My favorite reading, was "What Truthiness Taught Me About Being (Un Cool). Now remember, today is the first day that I've realized I'm enrolled in this class, seeing as how I am taking six classes right now, so I'm reading what Sarah, age 14 has to say about being uncool because she likes things that kids her age usually wouldn't like. I'm reading this story and not knowing why this girl is writing, and I’m thinking “What is this book about?” and then a lightbulb click in my head. ‘Hey this girl is 14, and liking the things that I liked at 14!’I totally related to Sarah. I always favored the same shows that Sarah liked such as Monk and Psych. I was around the age of 16 when those shows first came out and they were pretty "uncool" now that I think of it. Really, everyone was watching The Hills and Laguna Beach (what really is the difference?).

On the other hand, the writing titled “The Depth of Depth” was pretty crazy. Grace was really obsessed with Johnny Depp. I mean I’m sure I was like that when I was 16 too, but wow she really went all out for Johnny Depp. I wonder if Johnny knows that he has such devoted fans. I love the passion that Grace has for Johnny Depp, and she’s an amazing writer, but this article was too obsessive for me.

Reading “Just a Girl? Rock,Music,Feminism,and the Cultural Construction of Female Youth” made me smile when I first saw that the lyrics were to No Doubt’s song “Just A Girl”. I love No Doubt! It reminded me of yesterday when I was in one of my phases and I started listening to Ani Difranco’s “Not A Pretty Girl”. You have got to listen to it! “I am not a pretty girl, that is not what I do. I am no damset in distress. And I don’t need to be rescued. So put me down punk.” Love it!! Please everyone go to listen to Ani Difranco. She will make you happy.

Comments

Kristen said…
Hey Nessa! I am also in Womens Studies right now. It does get pretty confusing for me too. Don't be so hard on yourself! I love Ani Difranco! That song is perfect for this class. I think society makes us feel shame for our opinions, especially when they are outside the norm. Why do you think young girls are so afraid to share their opinions?
Meagan L♥ said…
"Wouldn't you prefer a maiden fair?" I LOVE that song and Ani but surprisingly I only found out about her in college. Anyway, I'm sorry your day was so chaotic but you'll get settled soon and I think everyone loves the "Red" book. It's heartwarming and brings us all back to girlhood. It's so sad that girls are just so...afraid to be girls. I wish they all knew how talented and amazing they are. I wish we could learn that about ourselves.

Popular posts from this blog

Film Review

Maiden, Mother and Crone by Vianny Nunez

The G[r]ay Area Between Female Friendship & Sexuality