Am I cool enough???

Reading the first section of "What Can Be Learned At School" was very interesting. "The Best Kind of Popular" by Emily, age 13 was very inspiring. I think that is an essay that should be published to ALL middle schools and high schools, because I think it would make some girls think and know that they don't have to TRY to be popular, but they should just be themselves and surely people will like them. If it is not the popular group, it'll be some other group that will accept and love them for who they are. I shutter when I think about middle school and highschool. Does anyone else feel that way????

While I read, I'm also watching Iron Jawed Angels for another class. Please, don't ask me how I'm doing both, I really have to have some sort of noise when I'm reading sometimes. Sounds weird. Anyways I just came to the part where the women are protesting, and the way that scene is directed is so impactful. I knew women had to fight hard and long for our rights that we have today, but the scene just makes you appreciate it more. What strong, strong women. If you want to see it, here's the link. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1ZK1v9O1DI&feature=related The whole nine minutes of that part of the video is pretty good, but then scene I'm talking about starts at about 7 minutes.

On the other hand, I don't think boys get more attention in school. When it comes down to participating in classes, I believe we're equal. Maybe boys receive more attention because of their athletic abilities, but they should! If a school has a good basketball team or football team then they deserve credit for their abilities. I guess it comes down to when boys are getting most of school's resources, than the girls.

In reference to "Hey You, Freshman Face" Elizabeth wrote at the end of her essay that a lot can happen in 12 months. Has anyone been to hell and back these past 12 months, or have you had an amazing 12 months??

"Lies We Had Told" was my favorite story from the section "Friendships Gone Well, Gone Poorly, Just Gone." I knew this section would hit me hard. I have always had fall-outs with every single one of my friends. Right now, I have my boyfriend, my best friend in Hawaii who every year we stop talking for a year, and my best friend who is in jail right now and I’m scared to bond her out because I am never going to get the money back and I don't want to be responsible if she doesn't show up to court. How horrible is that? Shouldn't I be there to help her out, but then again I think she needs jail right now. Anyways, Lies We Had Told was a very deep reading for me because I know about the depression and the cutting, me and my best friend went through the same thing. At about the same age that Sarah dealt with it with her best friend. A lot of people don't know about cutting, which I think is so weird. For me I’ve always known a lot of girls to cut. Have you guys known a lot of girls to cut? Someone please tell me. I've been around different types of girls and I swear this sounds bad, but all of the girls are crazy, but it's a good crazy. Do we all have something a little crazy going on with us?

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hi Venessa,

I enjoyed Emily's "Popular" essay, as well. I was that kind of popular. Somehow, I knew it at the time- which was good. I had my few close friends, but it seemed like almost everyone liked me (at least in middle school). The cool thing about it was that I was myself, and that's why people liked me. And it wasn't ever stressful trying to "stay popular" because I just kept being myself. This gave me some confidence in high school when cheerleaders were everywhere and were dating football players that I wanted to date (but never did).... My friends were all types- not restricted to one clique as the "popular" girls' friends tended to be.

I agree with you that high school was horrific. I would never do that again. I had virtually no power over my life. I was essentially in a ten year power struggle with my mother, caught between that excruciating period of knowing you have rights but not being able to exercise them....

I think "Iron Jawed Angels" is an incredible movie. While my high school textbooks would state in a sentence that there was a "struggle for women's right to vote", they never put it in perspective like this film so powerfully does. Images from this movie flash through my brain when Election Day comes and I have the slightest glimpse of a notion to not vote. I ALWAYS vote, because I am a woman, as a tribute to and out of respect and gratitude for the women who literally had their lives taken and destroyed, to fight this battle- FOR US. I planned to have my daughter (13) watch this film and forgot to do that. Thank you for reminding me. I will add it to the Netflix queue. I think it will be a good "girls' night" with girl friends.

I am glad to read someone else feels that boys aren't treated better in schools anymore. I've been in a lot of classrooms over the last few years, through volunteering and substitute teaching, and while this may have been the case at some time, I do not feel it is the case anymore.

I'm not sure I agree with you that boys should get attention because of sports. While people (especially kids) certainly deserve to be praised for their achievements, I think it should be balanced. I always felt inferior to the kids that were on sports teams (boys and girls) but I was a great student, musician, and artist. I can't remember ever being recognized for those achievements. Sports are fun but should not overshadow other areas.

You wrote a great post. I like how you incorporated questions throughout.

~Amanda W. : )

Popular posts from this blog

Film Review

Maiden, Mother and Crone by Vianny Nunez

The G[r]ay Area Between Female Friendship & Sexuality