Week 4 & 5

I was reading some others' posts, especially about the Johnny Depp story, "The Depth of Depp" by Grace. I kind of agree that it's unhealthy to put THAT much emphasis on idolizing somebody who is virtually unattainable. However, the IDEA of this dream is great. Having goals to "work together someday" as Grace wrote is admirable. The IDEA of being able to achieve great things, wanting it, and going forth and trying for it is definitely praiseworthy.

The "Appeal from an Angry Not So Emo" by Kali definitely left me with some insight as to how some girls' high school experience went. The halt of bullying is one of my passions that I hope to get more involved in someday. I myself have never experienced bullying- not in grade school, middle school, or high school. I realize how lucky I am to have never had to hate going to school, as Kali writes, "...it makes it very hard for us to ever be comfortable at our own school." I think I'm a strong person, but at that age and that time in my life, I can only imagine that it would be extremely difficult to have to deal with something like that. I went to a top high school where I never witnessed any such bullying whatsoever. This doesn't mean it wasn't going on, but as "preppy" as my high school could be, everyone seemed to get along and seemed to be able to talk to each other. It was not likely to see anyone getting made fun of while she was walking down the hall, in the lunchroom, or in class. It was clear that everyone had their own social groups, but talking and socializing with others in school was completely appropriate.

As I was reading the "Just Watch" story, I couldn't help but wonder why author Saskia didn't say anything. I immediately thought of the quote "be the change you wish to see in the world." As hard as it might be, I believe that one has to say something or make a move to make a difference in what is seen as wrong in his or her life. When there is that chance to be taken, it should be attempted. Maybe it's not something she can change, but if she knows that she tried, she might feel slightly better about the situation.

My favorite chapter that I read in QG was "Your Music Changed My Life." I always get inspired about how others get inspired by music. I thought it was really great that queer girls found a way to connect to music and also become physically immersed in the culture, as Alice called it an "interactive experience." One of my favorite parts of this chapter was how the author acknowledged that she would not stereotype the tastes of queer girls in their music. Of course, anyone can like any kind of music. Winnie says, "I like music and artists because of the sound... not because it is written/performed by a queer person." Exactly, Winnie. Later in the chapter, Jenna does say about queer music "...it makes me feel like I'm a part of something bigger, it connects me to others." I thought that was awesome. Yes, it's important not to stereotype what a queer girl would like in music, however- as is everyone when we break up into our small groups such as church, synagogue, whatever it is, being with a group of people with your same beliefs and possibly same experiences can be exhilarating.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Film Review

Maiden, Mother and Crone by Vianny Nunez

The G[r]ay Area Between Female Friendship & Sexuality