Sex = Dirty.

I can honestly say that I enjoyed reading the 111 pages in "The Purity Myth". I went through a lot of mental battles throughout high school concerning my virginity and being "dirty" if I had sex. I lost my "V-card" when I was 18. I was the so-called late bloomer of my friends. Problem was, I felt like if I did have sex, that I would be dirty. Not that other people would think I was dirty, but that I would think I was dirty. I don't really know how to explain the thoughts that went through my head then, looking back now. But I do know that after my first time, I kinda sat there and realized 2 things: 1) It wasn't that great, and 2) I didn't feel different at all. I have to say that my opinion of it's greatness has changed, but not because I went out and had a ton of sex, I just realized it wasn't with the right person, and I gave in to peer pressure. That's how I wasted my virginity -- on peer pressure.
Nowadays, losing your virginity isn't a big deal at all. It's not a big deal to have one-night stands or just have random, casual sex. Or is it?
I could care less what other people do. I see nothing wrong with having sex, but i'm not going to go around and have sex with everyone. I guess I fall in the middle of the spectrum, somewhere between a "whore" and a virgin.

Society feels that if we provide today's youth with contraception, that more girls will have sex and end up with STDs or pregnant. [But what about the boys??]
When girls are growing up, they are taught that if they have sex, they are worth less than a girl who chooses not to. Girls are also taught that being moral means not having sex until marriage. Boys are taught ethical values to show them how to be moral. Society accepts the fact that boys have sex. Double standard, anyone?

Websites, state-funded programs, the school system -- all make it seem as though sex is an unhealthy, horrible mistake for a girl to make. Sex should be something meaningful. Just because you're not married to someone, doesn't mean that it didn't mean anything or that you are worth any less because you did it. Someone needs to make a website for that.

And while we're at it, maybe we should tell these organizations that they should target the media, instead of making young girls feel like whores. The media is the one who puts scantily clad young women up on stage to sing for a bunch of teenage boys and girls. What kind of message does this send? And like Valenti mentioned in the book, you could buy heels for your baby, or your 11 year-old daughter could be a playboy nurse or somethiing. Our society makes young girls look sexy, but then gets horrified when we indulge in sexuality.

We really need to start spreading the right message: Safe sex is the way to go. Teenagers are going to have sex regardless of what we tell them. So at least encourage them to be safe.

LKousouris

Comments

L_Kousouris said…
Oh yeah, and I meant to comment on the whole "RealDoll" thing...
I was speechless for about 5 minutes after reading that. I know that they sell life-like dolls for individuals to have "sexual relations" with, but I didn't realize people were spending thousands of dollars on them. I mean, couldn't they just pick one up at Spencer's for like 30 bucks or something? The fact that you can change the faces on the dolls is even creepier. Why would you spend all that money on a doll? Do you have any idea how many dates you could go on with all that money? Those guys could be "getting ass" from real girls with the money they spent on a bunch of plastic.

I guess maybe I just don't understand?

Popular posts from this blog

Film Review

Maiden, Mother and Crone by Vianny Nunez

The G[r]ay Area Between Female Friendship & Sexuality