a new moral compass

Virginity was a touchy subject growing up. Sex was not spoken of in my household, at least not around the children. Being educated in the public school system, abstinence was what not only recommended, but the only sort of birth control discussed. Not only that, under our zero-tolerance sexual education program it is illegal for public school teachers to discuss male and female contraceptive, such as condoms. I am done with that stifled attitude because I think it does nothing but stunt emotional development and sexual growth, not to mention create more unplanned pregnancies and abortion procedures. Virginity to me is propaganda for the government to maintain its control of our youth and their bodies. If they take their sexuality from them, then children begin to see themselves as the objectified product that makes for convenient control at the bourgeois’ disposal. This is how sex slavery becomes possible. Of course a matter of power, it is the age-old story of dehumanization; liken it to slavery in America.
Valenti describes it as “virginity fetishism”; the role of misogyny imparts mobility through legislation. Our society has tried to control women’s bodies and it’s gotten to the point where, as Valenti puts it, “there’s no separating virginity, violence, and control over women’s bodies” (p. 13). She is right that we glorify girl’s and their sexuality. If we need a very indicative example all we must do is take a look a Britney Spears (check out p. 29, Valenti discusses the dangerous pressure we put on female pop performers). She was encouraged to use her sexuality for capitalistic reasons and it absolutely ruined her.
There are so many divisive ways society conditions women to be exploited, starting in the public school systems. Comparing women’s sexuality to a piece of Scotch Tape (p. 33) is one very visual illustration of how human’s view the female sex, but that is another thing Valenti stresses, the spotlight and importance stressed on “saving” oneself for marriage, the significance of the “virgin” status in America. Honestly, the concept of “Virginity Vouchers” (p. 32) and purity balls (p. 10) leave me with a bad feeling in my gut, because it really is just another way to exploit women’s sexuality, making it no longer their own.
The reason for much sexual abuse and rape can be attributed to our unhealthy and obsessive yet stifling attitude toward young women’s sexuality. Feeling shamed leads girls to search for that sexual outlet in unsafe ways, when they should be encouraged to find worthy individuals for worthwhile stimulation. Just as Valenti says, shaming young women for being sexual is nothing new (p. 30). This has created a confusing dichotomous relationships girls experience in regard to sex and sexuality. We are not products! I am not for sale!
Please enjoy this great CocoRosie song which I think says a lot in a little:

Comments

As soon as I mentioned sex to Mom (at 17), I was marched to the doctor and given birth control. My Mother had me at sixteen. It was interested how the author posited sexual freedom to be such a main contribution of feminism. Then, we we use phrases like "propaganda for the government to maintain its control of our youth and their bodies," they use our words to disempower us. I don't know if I conveyed that right. Misogyny and patriarchy and other words just seem to cause them to close their ears; even if it is the truth. I think it's disgusting how we glorify girls and as a musican, I am now at a loss. It is very embedded in celebrity and music culture to appear like "Baby Spice" or Punky Brewster and the women-clothes are reserved for adult easy listening music.
Lela said…
My mom is very honest with me and asks me about birth control. She is a strong and smart woman and I am lucky if I can be anything like her.
You are right about using those words, because, truth or not, negativity is not the way to accomplish accountability and progression in pro-girls legistlation.

Popular posts from this blog

Film Review

Maiden, Mother and Crone by Vianny Nunez

The G[r]ay Area Between Female Friendship & Sexuality