Reflections of previous events and emotions


I always love reading the short stories in red. I appreciate the fact that the girls get to express themselves so openly and honest. I recall my teenage years when reading the stories in red and realize times never really change from one generation to the next. The story of Cribs by Eliza Appleton made me appreciate the fact that things do not change much from generation to generation. The big difference is we call the dances different names, but each generation has its own form of dirty dancing. In Cribs Eliza’s mother thinks grinding is dirty dancing. What about in the fifties when the guys would pick the girls up and she would spread her legs and her crotch would be on his waist. I believe it was called the hop. This could be considered dirty dancing, but it was accepted. I think some parents forget what it was like to be a teenager. I understand parents want to protect their children but you have to start trusting them to make the right choices also.

I could relate to the crush in The Match by Jocelyn Pearce. I was in the tenth grade and had several classes with Kyle. In my eyes he could do no wrong and he was so handsome. He also was the teacher’s pet. He sat in the front row and I remember our teacher seemed older than my grandmother and taught English literature. Kyle drove a mustang and would go surfing on weekends. I also remember as the year went on my crush ended especially when the English literature teacher let Kyle get away with everything possible. He always turned assignments in late and was absent for every test. I knew he was the teacher’s pet when every grading period he had an A. I lost all respect for him and our teacher half way thru the year. I know looks may not be everything, but it helps in some situations.

Another story I appreciated was Bloody Red Heart by Emma Considine. My parents divorced when I was three. I have to agree with Emma separated families, does seem like a fad in America. I remember when I was young thinking this is great you do get more presents at Christmas and birthdays. I also remember thinking I do not want to go to my dad’s house and be around my stepmother. I remember thinking this is not fair my friends get to stay at home and play. My sister and I have to go to the other parents home for a visit and be away from our friends during school breaks. I have to say I had a bloody red heart too. I wanted the typical family mom, dad, two children, dog and the white picket fence. It seems when you are growing up everybody else’s family seems perfect compared to your own. In high school you realize your family is special and you are glad to have a mom and dad even if they do not live in the same house. The meaning of family can be many different scenarios. That is why America is called the melting pot.

Elizabeth Nesbitt

Comments

rinaresca said…
Your crush story applies so well to past discussions of male's receiving special treatment in our schools. In my nonverbal communication class we also covered matters similar, such as physical and social attractiveness. Just because someone has symmetrical features or are of a specific sex means they are more likely to be treated differently. This leads to many problems, such as eating disorders and disturbing body conscious disorders.

Popular posts from this blog

Film Review

Maiden, Mother and Crone by Vianny Nunez

The G[r]ay Area Between Female Friendship & Sexuality