"All about me... wut seems like many years ago..."

To be completely honest, I remember more about wanting my period, then when I actually got it. I didn't get it until I was 14. Everyone around me was growing up it seemed, and leaving me behind. Boys, boobs, bras, periods. My favorite movie was Now and Then, and to this day, I could watch it a million times and never get tired of it. It helped me identify with who I was back then. There was the girl who didn't want boobs and taped them down, the girl who had no boobs and experimented with pudding, and the other two - who seemed content with their boob size. I hate to say it, but I identified with Teeny (the one who experimented with pudding-filled balloons in her bra). I was a late bloomer. And I wanted so badly to be anything but that. Looking at myself now, I can honestly say that I uhh.... caught up? with the rest of the girls... haha. I remember those awkward moments when I knew that the boys didn't see me b/c I was the scrawny, flat-chested blonde girl who just didn't belong. One of the stories describes me perfectly, she talked about how she wasn't good at sports and she felt she was too skinny -but when she said something, she upset people. And that she wanted curves. That was me all through middle school and into high school. But when my little friend started visiting me at 14, I started to change. All of a sudden I had a butt and my boobs decided they were gonna come outta nowhere. I really hope they've stopped growing now, b/c at times I feel they grab more attention than they should.
But I have learned to appreciate them, I absolutely love shopping for bras. They are like shoes to me. I know that sounds wierd, but Victoria's Secret owes me something, b/c I feel like i've kept them in business through these hard times. haha...

As far as the social stigma surrounding girls and their period, I feel like there is a lot of pressure for girls to grow up, and what's sad is that girls are growing up a lot faster than they used to. Girls are getting their periods so much earlier in life (like as early as 8 years old, possibly younger). How do you explain to an 8 year old why they are bleeding "down there"? My manager at work had to do that about 3 weeks ago. Her 9 year old got it for the first time and freaked out. As a society we need to learn to educate our children (and at an earlier age apparently) in a fun, but meaningful way so that they aren't scared of this change and can accept it more easily when it happens. In order for this to happen, we need help on all fronts. Schools need to have "the talk" with students and explain/answer any questions they may have. Parents need to sit down and explain the "facts of life" with their kids. If we handle this from all angles, without pushing too much on the kids, of course, then we can make it easier on them.

But of course, when I was younger, I didn't want to talk about that stuff with my mom or dad. It was embarassing to me and I think part of me just didn't wanna grow up. And I especially didn't want to talk about that sort of stuff in school.

Lauren Kousouris

Comments

Jo-Anne said…
I laughed when I read your post because it sounded so much like my experience!Both my younger sisters started before me and I just knew I was going to die a social death over that fact! I was very athletic and since I was also a late bloomer, even my sisters thought I was weird!I remember putting socks in my bra after elaving the house in the mornings for school. Like nobody noticed that those things just showed up one night! It would be funny looking back now if it wasn't so sad.It really wasn't about getting my period as much as it was getting the boobs and the attention of the boys in school as a result. What a boob I was, to hang my self esteem on them!

Popular posts from this blog

Film Review

Maiden, Mother and Crone by Vianny Nunez

The G[r]ay Area Between Female Friendship & Sexuality