Good ole family time!

When I looked back at the stories I marked from Red while reading, I noticed that they all were family related. My parents got divorced when I was about two, so having divorced parents is all I know. I don’t have any angry feeling about it like Emma Considine does in “Bloody Red Heart”. In “Country”, Alicia Davis wrote, “There is no wall of animosity between us, just a small cloud of irritation that comes and goes.” She is talking about her dad, and I now exactly how she feels. It has been a process to get to the relationship my father and I have now. My mother is very emotional and open, and my dad is definitely not emotional or chatty by any means. When I was a young girl I was often very frustrated with him, just like Alicia was with her dad. When he would pick me up for our time together he didn’t ask much about my life, and I felt like he didn’t really try to get to know who I was. Also my dad’s side of the family likes to tease the ones they love, and I was just too sensitive for it at times. When I brought it up I just got teased for being sensitive. I think a girl’s relationship with her father is very important. It’s pretty much her first glimpse of male behavior. I don’t want to say “relationship” because I don’t mean it in the freaky purity ball way. I am lucky that my dad is a very respectful man, and always treats women well. Now my relationship with my dad is great! We have dinner together once a month and bond over our love for sushi (just like Alicia did singing with her dad). He has learned to beef up his conversation skills and I have learned not to take his teasing to heart. Although, now I am not afraid to tell him when it hurts my feelings. Alicia wrote, “He does have a heart, although at time it becomes hidden.” This is exactly how I feel about my dad. I also think he is seeing how fast his little girl is growing up, and doesn’t want to lose anymore time due to lack of communication. Young girls get their first taste of communicating with men by interacting with their dads, and an open communication line is very important.

I am very close to my mother. I would say right now our relationship is at it’s best. “In Mascara Wands Are Instruments of War”, Jordyn Turney writes, “Mother-daughter relationships are famous for one thing, really: conflict.” This is not true for my entire relationship with my mother as a young girl. I would say that most of our conflict was from age 16 to 18. We had very emotional fights. We are not yellers, just criers. I think it was a combination of me fighting for my independence and my mother fighting letting me got. The year before I moved out was the worst. My outlook was that I would be moving away from home soon, so I should be able to do whatever I want because I would be doing it soon anyway. Lots of crying ensued. We have laughed over those years many times now. I openly recognize what a little brat I was, and she recognizes that she might have been holding on a little too tight. I think most young girls go through a time like this with their mothers. A girl’s relationship with her mother is very important. I believe your mother is your very first role model as a young girl. Both mother and daughter should work together to have a healthy, open relationship. It’s very crucial in a girl’s personal and emotional growth. Your mother is an ally that you will always have.

Comments

Merritt Johnson said…
Just hot you realted to the texts, i related to you. My parents are not divored but my dad works a lot and is gone 8 months of the year. I also have an amazing relationship with my mom. We went though tough times, but as I am older and can relate to her more, it's great!
labbygirl said…
I am so glad you have been able to develop your relationship with your father. My father could never show his feelings and he was always hard to talk to. He grew up during an age when the men would talk together about work, hunting etc. and the women would talk together. His father was the same way. It was just in the last three years of his life he really started opening up with his children. I am very grateful to have had the short time we had for my dad to tell me he loved me. I was very close to my mothers mom and I am so very very grateful to have had my grandmother (Sugie) to guide me, love me and prepare me to be an adult. Cherise the time you have together with your parents because they leave us so soon, we do not hardly appreciate the special relationships we have with people until they are gone.
Liz Nesbitt
Mary Morley said…
My mom and I got along really well, too. I'm so thankful I had her in high school- while we definitely had our moments, we rarely fought at all, and she was always encouraging and empowering me. I have seen mothers and daughters that don't get along very well, so I understand where Turney is coming from, but I was glad to see that I wasn't the only one who was close with their mom.
Jen said…
"I think a girl’s relationship with her father is very important. It’s pretty much her first glimpse of male behavior."

I agree with you. My father seems like the opposite of yours, he's an emotional guy who retired early and stayed at home with me and my two younger brothers for most of our childhood/adolescence. We butt heads, often because we're both stubborn, "my way or the highway" people. We differ on most issues out there (don't get me started on political issues). Still I wouldn't trade my relationship with my father for anything. I love both my parents but my dad taught me a creativity (the other day he called to tell me about the zombie book he was thinking about writing) as well as cleanliness (my father runs a tight domestic ship - yes, I know, my family structure is the opposite of most and I LOVE it!). I'm glad that we both had the opportunity to know our fathers and continue to build that relationship!

Popular posts from this blog

Film Review

Maiden, Mother and Crone by Vianny Nunez

The G[r]ay Area Between Female Friendship & Sexuality