One of the Toughest- Body Image and Girls

This is one of the issues I am most passionate about when talking about girls. NO ONE should ever comment on ANYONE else's image, first of all. No one should be scared to walk into their own school and be surrounded by their own peers. Someone telling Amy, from "Sleeves," that she should kill herself? It's not something that I have ever experienced, but it just seems so, completely unnecessary and irrational. It makes me think of so many things. Where do these bullies get off thinking they can treat another human being like that? Where do they get off thinking they can judge another? I am also extremely passionate in my life about judgment. By extremely, I mean I take it to the extreme. I live by the quote, "Be nice to everyone you meet. You never know what they are going through, or what they have overcome." I go by that quote to the fullest. My overall biggest issue with the world is judgment. People need to stop, and it is especially a big issue with girls and body image.

As far as my experiences, it was "cool" to get your period. This was in 7th or 8th grade I think; we all (as in my friends) got it around the same time. That one time of the month has caused trouble for me though. Since the very first time I had gotten it in 7th or 8th grade, I get a flu-like virus with throwing up and fever almost every time I get around that time of the month. Other than that, there were no issues and no one made fun of anyone or anything for having it. I was fortunate again in this issue to not have any problems.

In my school, no one would ever make fun of another- whether it was for being overweight, or anything. Not that I had ever seen in my 4 years there, or ever heard of anything like that going on. I was fortunate, we all were, to grow up in a place where people respected each other- at least in the respect of not making fun of others. I wish everyone had gone to a high school like mine. It doesn't seem fair that even one negative comment should be made about how someone looks. The things in Amy's story that people, such as the Lab Jerks, said are ridiculous and again, totally unnecessary. I hope Amy learns how to be happy with herself, and if I could sit her down and talk with her, I totally would. Everyone needs someone to tell them it will be okay, especially in situations like that.

Being Jewish, I loved the Jewish hair story. I liked how Jane presented her issue in a humorous manner. What she said about a Jewish-haired guy rolling out of bed with that hair and being cute is also very true. Think Seth Cohen from the O.C., for those who are familiar with it.

I also really liked reading "Lucky." I actually got chills when she said she met someone like Devin who "...helped regain my shattered sense of self ever so slowly, yet ever so persistently." Like I said earlier, everyone needs someone to tell them it would be okay, and he is hers. I also liked how she said that this was not a "happily-ever after" story. I was thinking that in the back of my head too, as I read to the end of the story. However, her story is hopefully inspiring to girls with the same issues.

I think the way to change the social stigma, or to change most topics about body image, lies in the hands of the "bullies." Something needs to be done about them. On the other hand, something needs to be done about the low self-esteem of those who are overweight, don't think they "fit in," etc., because in no way do those girls deserve to feel low for reasons beyond their control. Of course, no one can be happy and positive all the time, that's part of life. But to feel good about yourself- most of the time- can be life-changing.

Comments

Turnbullet said…
Wow, it sounds like you went to school in the most idyllic place ever, haha.

Lucky you :)
Haley said…
Haha I know. Wasn't a private school or anything either. But yeah, high school of course isn't an easy experience for anyone, but the deep problems that I have hear about such as bullying and all that unnecessary stuff that happens in high schools, didn't happen at mine at all to the extent that it did at others. Definitely lucky :)
Jen said…
"Someone telling Amy, from "Sleeves," that she should kill herself? It's not something that I have ever experienced, but it just seems so, completely unnecessary and irrational."

This made me so angry too! I've seen it in person, though, and of course at the time I was too timid to say anything. Not to stereotype but normally the young people that say things like this are male, as in Amy's case. I think it traces back to images depicting boys as the aggressors, as more violent and active. Therefore, adolescent boys feel the need to defend themselves around every corner aggressively. It's a sort of strike first mentality that is plaguing way too many schools.

Popular posts from this blog

Film Review

Maiden, Mother and Crone by Vianny Nunez

The G[r]ay Area Between Female Friendship & Sexuality