Going "Natural"

Many black girls & women are going "natural" (ceasing to relax their hair) and I'm not sure that most are genuinely commited. Will this fad stick around and become commonplace? I find many girls around me going through with the BC (big chop)--shaving their relaxed locks and starting brand new. I know that relaxers came about to help assimilate African Americans and those of African descent into this eurocentric society, but I have grown to love my relaxer. At nineteen, I have had relaxed hair for longer than I have not. I received my first relaxer when I was nine. I can hardly picture myself without it. I can't help but wonder what women are getting out of it. I feel as if many of them are getting a false sense of authenticity.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Film Review

Maiden, Mother and Crone by Vianny Nunez

The G[r]ay Area Between Female Friendship & Sexuality