Good?Bad? NEITHER!

I enjoyed the Girls in Ghana Get Computerized article. It’s important for young girls (or girls at any age) to know how to use a computer, no matter where they come from. These tools can give these girls an outlet for their voice and for them to share what’s important to them. Having knowledge of computers will also help these girls later on in life when they might need to have computer skills. I really respect what Trevor did and how he helped these girls.

The Internet can be an important medium for girls to use to express themselves. Social sites where people can make personal pages can help girls express themselves in a somewhat safe environment.
“The knowledge girls do acquire is perceived as being of little or no value because the activities girls engage in either on the screen or around the computer appear to reproduce established gender stereotypes of fashion doll play, shopping, chatting, and so on” (All About the Girl, 173).
I think it would be great if there were more websites for girls to visit that did not revolve around shopping, gossip, and boys. Girls need to express themselves where they won’t be judged or feel the need to be someone else. "These girls "are ashamed for being too sexual, too loud, too boisterous, too big” (Jammer Girls and the World Wide Web: 
Making an About-Face). Girls should not be ashamed of who they are.

I definitely agree that society only gives girls two choices…good girl or bad girl. This has such a negative impact on girls because they then feel that they have to choose a side and take on that identity. Both of the terms, good and bad, carry such weight and mean so much more than the conventional “good” and “bad”. “To be a good girl who conforms to sex role expectations and strives to achieve an unrealistic body ideal, or to be a bad girl who rebels against the culture and society with violence, aggression, and indiscriminate sex” (Jammer Girls and the World Wide Web: 
Making an About-Face, para. 2). I used to always see myself as a “good girl” but as age I know that does not really exist and especially the definition they give. I don’t strive to achieve an unrealistic body ideal, so does that make me a bad girl? Well I guess one could say that I rebel against my culture by the protest that I participate in and my activism but I don’t use violence and indiscriminate sex. So what does that make me? Am I neither? Where do I belong? Luckily, I have feminism and I’m older, so I know that these terms are dangerous and I should not try to identify as one. But what about young girls who don’t have feminism or a healthy support group (family and friends)? Will they be forced to choose a side and change who they really are?

Comments

Dominique said…
hey amanda, i like what you said about the reality of choosing between good girl and bad girl. i feel the same way--like i don't fit into either category, and that the categories are ridiculous--but in middle school especially i was constantly either fighting or exploiting my good girl image...not very successfuly : ) but the way the good girl is defined as a name brand consumer who doesn't question what she's supposed to consume...that is a category that seems really accurate and is really hard to fight without that supportive community.

Popular posts from this blog

Film Review

Maiden, Mother and Crone by Vianny Nunez

The G[r]ay Area Between Female Friendship & Sexuality