School and Friendships

So I'm posting a blog for Wednesday nights class because I missed it due to a horribly sick week, wash your hands and use plenty of hand sanitizer ladies!!!

High school prom was one of the things I thought about when going to high school, I thought it was magical and you would have the perfect date and find the perfect dress and if you were lucky be prom queen! Turns out, I didn’t even go to prom, by the time I got to my senior year I thought it was so cliché and since we had homecoming every year which I thought was pretty bring, it didn’t seem very new to me. I feel like a lot of my friends felt the same way even though some of them went. I worried that I would regret this decision, but I never did. I never went to prom and I turned out fine. It seems so outrageous to me the amount of money people spend to go to prom. I remember girls spending hundreds of dollars on dresses, wearing things I thought were too mature for high school girls to be wearing. One of the times I went to homecoming I got my dress for 19.99$ and I still own the dress. The time I spend over a hundred, I didn’t really even like and never kept. I never got my makeup or hair professionally done but I remember girls going to the mall for makeup appointments and hair appointments, it almost seemed like they were preparing for a wedding. I really think prom is a social peer pressure, to go and look as good as you can, even if you do decide to wear a tux you still pick a extravagant one and take the time to put on a lot of makeup and do your hair. Why is it that this is so important? I really think prom just puts girls up to be let down. There can be dress disasters and date disasters, and that can ruin such a socially important day. Also there’s the thoughts of how many girls end up getting pregnant or STD’s on prom night because of social pressure to have sex with your date. Prom should really be changed into something more positive.
Girls friendships are unique and a much needed part of girlhood. Its interesting to see the close relationship girls form and also how vicious they are when it ends. I think it can be a really positive aspect of girls lives, and I think it has something to do with the increased amount of singleness in society. When I watch shows like sex in the city I can’t help but wonder if girl friends can replace boyfriends. I see a lot of similarities in girlhood between girls friends and boyfriends minus the physical relationship. The “ethical rules” of female friendships do seem to become very important in the relationships, as well as other factors. Perhaps when starting romantic relationships with men, many women are disappointed that these things don’t exist in male to female relationships.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Film Review

Maiden, Mother and Crone by Vianny Nunez

The G[r]ay Area Between Female Friendship & Sexuality