Conflicting Views of Girlhood

Although I enjoy learning about girls' lives and find the subject fascinating, I can't help feeling disconnected from girls and girlhood. Perhaps it is because I have rejected my girl self. Come to think of it, my girlhood was not much different from that of the average girl. I had low self esteem and felt self conscious about my body. I thought I was ugly and that there was something wrong with me. I developed later than most girls; I didn't get my period until I was 17. I was flat chested until college, and I never felt sexually attracted to boys until just a few years ago. I just remember feeling like I wasn't a normal girl and would never be one. Overall, I was just uncomfortable and confused with my body and sexuality.

Adolescence was a tough time for me, and I'm glad that it's over. I am now proud of my sexual self and comfortable with my body. I am confident in my abilities and have become a leader in organizations whose causes I care about. When I look back on my girlhood, I detest the girl I once was and embrace the woman I am now.

However, this rejection of my girl self has affected the way I view girls. Instead of viewing them as fellow humans, I almost feel sorry for them. I am reminded of the "Ophelia" section of Young Femininity, where girls are depicted as constantly in a low self esteem crisis. On the other hand, this presents a problem since "the representation of adolescence as chaos feeds into many of the demeaning cultural stereotypes about girls and young women" (Young Femininity 46). Therefore, as a feminist, the logical solution would be for me to embrace girls as being strong, powerful, and confident.

But I am ashamed to say that I have trouble doing this. I can't forget how terrible a time adolescence was for myself, and I can't help thinking that most girls are going through a similar nightmare. Why do girls have to hate themselves before they can grow into women??!

Maybe I am generalizing my experiences and applying them to all girls today. This is a mistake, since girls' experiences vary by race, class, sexuality, ect. Further, girls don't all just magically become self confident when they become women. Perhaps I have made the same mistake as some second wavers, viewing girls as "victims"of society (Young Femininity 202). I just feel angry that we live in a society that profits from making women and girls feel bad about themselves.

Comments

sarahbeth said…
I have the same problem of assuming that girlhood was traumatizing for all who experienced it. I think it's natural for people to generalize their experiences to everyone, but it's, of course, good to be aware and critical of this.

Popular posts from this blog

Film Review

Maiden, Mother and Crone by Vianny Nunez

The G[r]ay Area Between Female Friendship & Sexuality