“Go away! And don't come back for five to seven days!”

I think My Girl is a great example of girls growing up and the struggles they face. Even though the film came out in 1991 and took place in the summer of 1972 it still seems relevant to young girls today.

Now yes I know it may not be as dramatic as other teen movies with drugs and sex but that’s why I can identify with it…
Vada freaked out with she began her period and did not know what it was. When I started my period I knew what it was but freaked out cause I was home alone with my brother with no pads and could not get in contact with my mom.
Vada watched Shelly as she was putting on make-up and even though she did not understand the point of wear make-up she still allowed Shelly to put some on her. Young girls do not need make-up (or any women in general) but still wear it because they think that’s the norm and they have to look that way.
Having a crush on a teacher…come-on who has not?

There were still some problems Vada had to deal with...
Dealing with the fact that her mother died while giving birth and Vada some times thinks she killed her.
Having other girls make fun of her because she always hangs out with Thomas J.
Trying to deal with her father dating and struggling for his attention.
Losing her best and only friend.
Wanting and then trying to run away cause she felt that she had no one.

Vada is also just awesome. I mean I do not know anyone who would not want to be like her. She did not care what others thought of her (her being best friends with a boy), she enjoyed the outdoors (which is mostly associated with young boys), when she wanted something, she went for it (the summer Poetry camp), and she overcame tragedy (death of her mother and best friend).

Oh and I do not know how anyone could watch this film without crying!! When Thomas J asks Vada if she’ll think of him if she does not marry her teacher gives me the chills. And do not even get me started on the funeral scene. I get emotional just thinking about it!

Comments

j.leigh said…
I love this post! I wanted to be Veda so much when I was little, especially when she took that writing class without a second thought about her age ... oh goodness, and that funeral scene ... such a perfect movie.

Popular posts from this blog

Film Review

Maiden, Mother and Crone by Vianny Nunez

The G[r]ay Area Between Female Friendship & Sexuality