Movie Review- Juno

*SPOILER ALERT*
The film Juno is about a teenage girl (Juno Macgruff) who had unprotected sex with her best friend (Paulie Bleeker, played by Michael Cera) and got pregnant. Juno needed to decide what to do with the baby. At first, Juno thought she wanted to get an abortion and went to the clinic, but decided not to go through with the procedure. Then, Juno decided that she would put the baby up for adoption, where a nice suburban couple, Mark and Vanessa, would adopt Juno’s baby.

Throughout the movie, Juno remained witty and upbeat. Although she struggled with the physical and mental effects of pregnancy, Juno remained strong. While Juno’s attitude was the high point of the movie, I felt her character was more “indie film character” than actual pregnant teenager. Juno’s supportive parents were another high point for the movie. I’m not sure exactly how the parents of a pregnant teen would behave, but it seemed like Juno’s parents took the pregnancy in stride and were supportive of her decisions. Juno’s ability to laugh at herself and her parents’ support were the only things I liked about the movie.

I personally felt this movie portrayed teen pregnancy unrealistically. Juno’s decision to put her baby up for adoption was a very adult decision. The adoptive parents, Vanessa and Mark, represented the modern American suburban couple. However, Vanessa was desperate to be a mother while Mark had reservations. Mark also missed his youth. Mark and Vanessa were the most accurate character portrayals in the whole movie. Mark and Juno became close friends, however their friendship, to me, was slightly unsettling. The pair bonded over horror movies and rock music, which was understandable, but something about their interactions made me feel like there was some sort of romantic undertone. In the end, Mark and Vanessa split up, but Juno still gave her baby to Vanessa to raise on her own. This part of the movie also represented modern families- a single mom adopting a baby.
Although Juno did grow up rapidly and had to make a lot of adult choices, the movie ended in a fairy tale-esque way. After Juno gave up her child, she felt no remorse, no sadness, no post-partum depression…there was no point for reflection at all. Juno and Paulie became a couple and sang cutesy-folk rock songs. If anything, the movie could have offered some point for Juno to reflect on the heavy decisions she made rather than skip off to play acoustic guitar.

This movie’s intention was probably not to portray teen pregnancy accurately, but for some abstinence-only schoolchildren, this might be all they hear about sex and reproduction. The movie was intended to be a cutesy indie movie, but I think because it had such a wide audience, the movie producers/writers/directors could have taken on some responsibility to reflect without being preachy.

Juno’s story reminded me of Jessica Valenti in The Purity Myth. When Valenti had sex with her high school boyfriend, her peers judged her and considered her impure. However, Valenti did not have to deal with the burden of pregnancy while Juno did. Not only was Juno shunned because she was sexually active, she was also shunned for being pregnant.

If I got anything from this movie, it was that we need sex education in schools.

Comments

I think there definitely was the romantic undertone and that it is aluded to in the film. I thought your post was interesting because while I am not a big fan of the movie, I struggled with whether or not Juno's portrayal was realistic. I think it was uncommon but rare if at all likely. I watched the show "Sixteen and Pregnant," and come to think of it--there was a character like Juno! You can watch it here: http://www.mtv.com/videos/16-and-pregnant-ep6-catelynn/1615511/playlist.jhtml Regardless of what people think of the MTV show: It was really interesting. The parents stayed out of this one too even though they weren't keen on the idea of adoption.
I think the movie could have shown some sex education but the writers didn't focus on that as it was a fictional story and I do not know if its intent was to be educational. I actually think it's a pretty boring movie. I cannot recall what I would have felt as a teen seeing it since she is giving up the baby so I do not know if it is glamorizing pregnancy.
EWest said…
I also felt that Juno's relationship with Mark was inapproriate and that the movie should have shown some reflection or counseling or something more.
Turnbullet said…
Misty- I really didn't like the movie, especially for all the publicity it got.
Amanda said…
I think Juno was happy in the end because she knows she made the right decision by giving the baby to Vanessa. However, I agree that some things could have been done differently based on the widespread audience of the movie. I cried for the entire last 30 minutes, I can only imagine how a girl actually in Juno's situation would feel.
Kristen said…
I never thought about the realness of the movie till I read your review. You are so right. The way things worked out for Juno would be very rare for most girls in that situation, if even at all likely. But if a girl has a good support system, I could see something like Juno's experience being possible.

Popular posts from this blog

Film Review

Maiden, Mother and Crone by Vianny Nunez

The G[r]ay Area Between Female Friendship & Sexuality