Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret Book Review

I had not previously read this book, not even as a teenager, but I think the book epitomizes a twelve year old’s experience. Written in 1970, I think this novel holds ground when discussing issues young teens face. Right in the beginning, Margaret’s new friend Nancy discussed kissing boys, breasts and “looking like one of those girls in Playboy.” (6) For a pre-teen girl, this conversation must be common, especially today with the prevalence of the media.

Margaret’s conversation with her mother on the first day of school rang familiar. Margaret’s mother reminds her to stand up straight for her figure and to wash her face with soap so she will not get pimples. Not only does this conversation seem like one I may have had with my mother, it also illustrates the types of values mothers pass on to daughters. Although Margaret’s mother warned her, for pragmatic reasons, to wear socks with her loafers, never once does she encourage young Margaret to pay attention in class. (24-25) Another conversation that surprised me was the conversation at the first secret club meeting. Margaret’s friend Nancy asks another girl, Gretchen, how much weight Gretchen has gained when Gretchen takes six Oreos. (30) It almost upset me to read about this exchange. At twelve years old, girls should not be worrying about their weight, especially while eating Oreos! During this same exchange, the girls start to make fun of a well-developed girl and hope for their periods.

The debate between Christianity and Judaism, which was a recurring theme throughout the novel, seemed the most interesting, mature and relevant to my life. Since Margaret’s parents are not religious, she does not know if she will join the Y or the Jewish Community Center. Since I’m “not anything” like Margaret’s parents, I often feel like an outsider, especially in a city like Orlando, where there is definitely a church/family focus. I felt proud, almost, when Margaret presents her research to her teacher. Margaret explains that she went to church, synagogue and confession and read three books on religion. (142-143) While she decides she cannot decide on a religion, and wished she had been told a religion, it is really the most mature and serious discussion of a worldly topic in the book. I am glad Judy Blume wove this particular plot line through the book because it served as a reminder to adults that teen girls struggle with issues adults may also fight.

The other thing that resonated most with me was the constant fixation on breasts, bras and periods. While those issues clearly deserve to be talked about, in the novel, Margaret’s parents kind of gloss over it, while it is obviously a huge deal for the pre-Teen Sensations. Margaret frets she will not be “normal” if she has to wait until fourteen to get her period. (100) Overall, it seemed like adults tried to put off the conversation. Perhaps the fact that the book was written in 1970 has some bearing on the lack of period-related conversations. Are You There God reinforced my belief that we as a society need to educate girls on their bodily functions. This is reflected in several places, such as picking on the well-developed girl (117), thinking there is something wrong with not menstruating until fourteen, etc. The sheer panic Margaret’s friend Nancy feels when she gets her first period (106) is ridiculous. These issues should be discussed, at length, with young girls.

In the end, Margaret seemed a very mature girl; she approached Laura about her alleged escapades behind the A&P, Margaret approached Moose, and she got her period. In what I thought would be a silly, stereotypical book about growing up, I found not only nuggets of truth and maturity, but also a transformation in the protagonist. This novel seems like a good choice for mothers and daughters to read together.

These conversations somewhat echo the essays in Red- worrying about friends and boys and periods, but they all seem incredibly foreign to me. Since I work with middle school girls, I assumed a lot of what I read in Are You There God, It’s Me Margaret would be fresh in my mind. It’s not. Not even close. I vaguely remember a few middle school age conversations that seem familiar, but that is about the extent of it. This book helped me remember what been twelve was like, and even thought it was not too long ago, it sure feels like the problems Margaret faced were eons ago.

Comments

Merritt Johnson said…
You said Margarets parents "glossed" over the girl sissues that need to be discussed. It's sad how many paents do't talk to their children this day. This is the only review i have seen of this book so far, but it looks very good and your description made me want to read it.
Turnbullet said…
Thanks, it was a good book, and a very easy read!
Jen said…
"This novel seems like a good choice for mothers and daughters to read together."

This sounds like a great idea and, perhaps, what Bloom intended when she was writing the book. I've been thinking throughout this class how I would talk about these issues with my daughter if I were a parent. I feel strange critiquing my and others' parents without thinking about the other end of it. I think using literature to start the conversation is a positive idea. There is the privacy of experiencing Margaret's thoughts with her in the writing as well as the avenue that opens for questioning when you give a young girl the book to read.
labbygirl said…
I think you were right to say they glossed over some of the issues the girls were discussing. I have not read this book, but I think even in today's society parents still struggle discussing issues relating to sex, drugs and their bodies. I am sad to think are society puts so much negativity on sex and body shapes. We need to teach young people not to be ashamed of their bodies and love themselves for who they are. It seems like a good book I will try and read it.
Liz Nesbitt
Haley said…
I was a little surprised that this book was on the list. However, when I read your review, I realized how in-depth the discussion can be on this book. I remember being kind of embarassed about some of the topics in this book when I read it way back when. Something like Go Ask Alice better represents "realism" to real girl issues like the ones presented in this novel. That's why I agree with you and everyone else in how the parents "glossed" over all of the girl issues. The types of thoughts and experiences Margaret has seem very normal for any girl, and I think this is a great book for any girl to read.
Kristen said…
"The other thing that resonated most with me was the constant fixation on breasts, bras and periods....."

While breasts, bras, and periods are major issues in girlhood, I think a little less importance should be put on them to where they are not so defining. It creates a weird divide between girls and causes them to create separations within their peers. It almost becomes a competitive thing, with who experiences what first.

Popular posts from this blog

Film Review

Maiden, Mother and Crone by Vianny Nunez

The G[r]ay Area Between Female Friendship & Sexuality