Book Review - Dear Diary

I'm not really sure exactly how I felt about Dear Diary. The book is about the life of Lesley Arfin, a girl from Long Island who goes through all the things that most teenage girls go through, but who also eventually becomes a heroin addict, and struggles to get clean.

One thing that I really did like about this book was the way that it was written. The book is actually diary excerpts from Lesley's diary, supplemented with updates by Lesley and interviews with the people she wrote about in the diary entries. The way that Lesley writes make her seem very approachable, like someone you would want to be friends with. I really loved how she would give updates to explain things from her diary and I thought it was awesome how she tracked down and interviewed the people that she discussed in the diary. In one instance she was able to find out that the reason that she lost a once dear friend was because their fathers had an issue that Lesley had no idea about (27-28). She was even able to somewhat repair that relationship.

Something I wasn't so crazy about was the way that Lesley described her drug abuse. Knowing before I read the book that Lesley was a recovered heroin addict, I expected that this book would try to show the dangers and bad side to doing drugs so as to convince people not to do them. On the contrary, Lesley made doing drugs seem cool. Honestly, one of her descriptions of an ecstasy experience made me really curious! I mean, her experience in rehab didn't seem like too much fun, but she spent more time describing how great drugs feel than actually describing rehab. From her descriptions, it sounded as though the worst thing about rehab is that it's boring.

There were certain parts of the book, mainly issues with friends and boys, that I would feel like I related to what Lesley was going through. When Lesley talked about feeling like her friends hated her, or wanting a certain boy to like her, I understood what she meant. But for the most part, I feel like I didn’t relate with Lesley much. My world was never about drugs and music and sex. I just think that Lesley and I experienced very different things in life and that made it hard for me to find a connection to her story. I think overall I just didn't really like Lesley. To me, she seemed like an upper middle-class spoiled brat, who made some bad decisions and had some tough times, but ultimately, I think she was given a lot of breaks. Her family basically supported her through her college years so all she had to worry about was partying. She had jobs handed to her several times, even after she made it clear that she was not reliable. Once she became addicted to heroin, she was very lucky to have a supportive family who was willing to help her get the help she needed. And even after she got clean, simply by "knowing people" she was able to get a job as a stylist to the stars and then get her book published. I think what bothers me most is that Lesley doesn't feel like a hero to me. Maybe she's not supposed to.

At the end of the book Lesley says that she published the book to let girls know they aren't alone in what they might be going through (232). Even though Lesley's story may not be exactly what I went through, I think that it could give others who do relate to the story hope. Seeing how Lesley was able to come out of the hole of addiction and become something more could be very uplifting.

Comments

Jo-Anne said…
I think it is interesting that you didn't like Leslie but could relate to the fact that she could give hope to others. For some reason I think it is harder for us to accept someone who gets addicted if they come from a privileged background. We think they should know better or be more grateful for the opportunities that they have been given. The truth is that addiction is an equal opportunity disease and can affect anyone. I believe it is harder for someone to beat their addiction if they have money and people who enable them, because the consequences never seem so severe. So I am glad that she got clean, and maybe she can show others that being from a priviledged background doesn't make them exempt from addiction.
Ani Reina said…
It think a lot of times books that are aimed at young adults try to describe all drugs as awful and horrendous experiences. Realistically most people have fun tripping or drinking, therefore young people are caught in a bind when their friends tell them how fun it is, or when they see their parents enjoy a glass of wine/ a bottle of beer. However we should be teaching our children that fun times can come with the consequences of becoming addicted and battle the disease of addiction for the rest of your life.

I find it strange that she would describe rehab as just boring. Maybe she went more than once, most people do and at that time she just was not ready to face the facts.
mhendrix said…
I did my review on the book "Go Ask Alice", which seems to be along the same lines as yours. She was a 15 year old girl who struggled with the typical pressures of any teenage girl, and also becomes wrapped up in drugs. The book was also written in dairy form, which like you, I really enjoyed. I found it interesting that you were disappointed in the way Leslie described her drug experiences. I see where you are coming from, the girl in my book did the same, her experiences were always summed up as beauty and exciting. While you do not feel like Lesley is a hero, she may be to other girls who go through the same as her. To you and me she might not be, because truly we have no idea what it is like to be addicted to drugs. I do know that the success rate of staying clean is very, very little. I agree with you that her story can be uplifting to others. I would recommend my book to anyone, it is eye-0opening and hopefully will change and save lives. Would you recommend yours?
AmandaF said…
I think it was pretty brave of you to speak out against part of book (a lot of people won't do that in a classroom setting because they don't want the teacher to grade them poorly!). I like how you pointed out that the author seemed to describe drugs as a positive thing. So often in this society, we hear all the evils of drugs. Yes, there are definite dangers and addiction is no game. However, there is a reason people do drugs in the first place. They bring a feeling that the user wants. If we recognize this more, perhaps we could start to battle the evil that does come with drug use.
Ana said…
I have to agree with you on the issue dealing with drugs. If Leslie is trying to teach girls the lesson not to do drugs, she should not be giving enticing descriptions of her drug experiences.

I like the fact that you express your dislike of Leslie. And by the way you describe her, I don't think I would like her either.
Haley said…
If the point of her book was to raise drug awareness- to some extent- that doesn't seem right to be publishing a novel that girls will obviously read that may have the same issues that portrays drugs in something other than in a negative light. Of course, she is free to describe her feelings as she wishes. But, that's how she saw and experiences it, and she is sharing that experience with the readers. I guess that's the best she can do, and as readers we can just take it how we want to take it, good or bad.
♥ Tara said…
Ani Reina: Yes, Lesley actually went through rehab twice. And you are exactly right, the first time she went through she stated that she went to rehab to "kick" but not necessarily to quite heroin forever (she thought that kicking would lower her tolerance so she could do less and still get high). Her second time through, she realized that she needed to get clean and she did. Maybe Lesley didn't want to describe the worst parts of her rehab experience because she didn't want to scare people away from it. If someone read her book and realized that they needed to go to rehab, maybe Lesley thought that by describing how terrible it was she would convince them not to go. Just a thought.

mhendrix: I think I would recommend this book to others. It was an ok read and maybe others who have experienced different things would feel differently about Lesley than I did.

Haley: You are right, I don't think the intent of the book was to raise drug awareness. I think the intent was for Lesley to tell her story, no matter how good or bad she seemed to anyone else. Like I said, just because this book didn't change my life doesn't mean that it couldn't speak to someone else.

Popular posts from this blog

Film Review

Maiden, Mother and Crone by Vianny Nunez

The G[r]ay Area Between Female Friendship & Sexuality