Film Project - Juno

I chose to watch Juno for this film project, even though Now & Then is one of my favorite movies from my teenage years and I have already seen Mean Girls and Thirteen.

I thought this movie was a pretty good enactment of how teenage pregnancy occurs. I applaud how she handles her "situation" as far as how everyone else looks at her. I feel she made a responsible decision as to what to do with her child, considering she was a child herself and had no real way of supporting her baby. This movie takes you through all her emotions, although I feel like if I had been her I would have been freaking out a lot more than that. She kind of took on the whole pregnancy thing herself, left out the father and didn't really involve anyone else for the most part. She was naive, yet responsible for her age (except for the part about getting pregnant... haha).

I feel as though this is a movie that would help a fellow pregnant teenager to feel better about her situation. Obviously this kind of thing happens a lot, it seems as though there are a lot more teenage pregnancies occurring now than when I was in high school. The film shows how Juno was judged based on her situation, and how the father of the child, also a teenager, wasn't really impacted by the situation - although I think that is because Juno wanted it that way. I feel like the movie didn't go in-depth enough about all of the stresses that come with being pregnant at that age. It kind of touched on how she felt at school, but there is more to it than that.

I am choosing to focus on Juno because I feel that because she was a strong person, this didn't phase her as much as it would have someone who may not have been as strong. Other parents didn't care for her - and she didn't care. She didn't really care what anyone thought of her, this goes for while she was pregnant and prior to that. The friends she had accepted her for who she was, and those who didn't... well they just didn't matter. There aren't a lot of teenagers who could say the same. She was put in a tough situation and she made the right and responsible decision - mostly on her own. I feel like the pregnancy allowed her to become more in touch with herself and her feelings, especially her feelings about the father of the baby.

I feel like the part of the movie that most teenage moms could identify with was when she told her parents. There was shock, disgust, and in time - acceptance. Her stepmother was there for her when she went to the doctor, and her dad tried his best to show her that he loved her. This would be the ideal situation for any girl trying to tell her parents this kind of news.

This movie covers many things discussed through our text and other readings/assignments this semester. It deals with self confidence, sexuality, pregnancy, and family - to touch on a few things. Teenagers are going to experiment with sex. This movie illustrates the many consequences of having sex and getting pregnant.

Lauren Kousouris
L1434451

Comments

Meagan L♥ said…
Lauren,

Juno is a great film and really does touch on a lot of issues we have studied thus far. Self-image being the one that most stands out to me. One thing I noted that was something interesting to me was how little the baby's father was involved. I know Juno really preferred to keep it that way but I don't feel he showed too much motivation into getting involved with the decision making process. I would have loved to see him try a little harder with being involved because although Juno had a tough exterior I'm sure she would have appreciated the gesture. It just always bugs me how so many people think teen pregnancy is solely the girl's issue.

Popular posts from this blog

Film Review

Maiden, Mother and Crone by Vianny Nunez

The G[r]ay Area Between Female Friendship & Sexuality