The Self Portrait



My name is Virginia McCarthy, and I am an artist. Being a girl has informed my work of all mediums, has permeated what I do in ways both overt and subtle. I will let my images speak for me, and allow you to draw your own conclusions.



It is my belief that every girl should create images and reflections of herself and her inner world. To feel that you 'cannot draw' or worse, that you aren't pretty enough to be depicted in art- That is the greatest tragedy. My heart breaks every time I see a girl disguising her true self when she draws an unrealistic self portrait or takes a high-angled picture for Facebook. I challenge everyone reading this to draw their self portrait! It need not be literal, it need not conform to any method of image making that's been used in the past. A self portrait can be made through cooking, through dancing, through writing.. Through architecture, landscape or song. A self portrait communicates your inner self with utmost honesty.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Film Review

Maiden, Mother and Crone by Vianny Nunez

The G[r]ay Area Between Female Friendship & Sexuality