Thirteen by Lindsey Hawkins

For my film review I watched the movie Thirteen. I choose it because I have never seen the movie before and I thought it would be interesting to watch and see what really goes on in some thirteen year old girls' lives. I was absolutely shocked after seeing the movie and I had know idea that girls this young were getting into some of the things they did.

The main character in the movie Tracy was a regular thirteen year old in middle school just trying to fit in. She would watch the "popular hot girl" around school and decided she wanted to be friends with her. She started hanging out with the girl and everything went down hill after that. Tracy started stealing, drinking, smoking, doing drugs, and sexual acts. Her relationship with her mom became a disaster as she wouldn't listen to anything her mother said and talked very disrespectfully to her. It's really crazy how girls will act when they want to be with the popular kids. In this case it ruined Tracy and eventually she ended up getting back stabbed by her so called friend. Tracy was also a cutter and when things were getting crazy and she was upset she would take herself into the bathroom and start cutting her arm.

I was so completely in awe of everything that went on in this movie. About 75% of everything these girls did, I never knew existed or where to find it when I was thirteen. It really scares me that girls this young are getting in to these types of things and situations. I think a big factor in some of the behaviors were lack of parental supervision. Tracy's mom, most of the time, let her hang out with this girl and go places without asking too many important questions. Her mother also attended meetings which I never figured out what was for. Maybe AA meetings or for some kind of drug recovery program, either or it's not really a good atmosphere to raise a kid in. The mother also had a boyfriend that would come and stay at the house, he was a crack addict who had been back and forth between their house and the half way house.

The girl that Tracy became friends with wasn't raised by her parents. Her guardian was her cousin who was a model/bar tender/whatever job she had that week. She was never home which left the two girls to get into anything and everything they could. I think this is a great movie for parents to watch and to see that this can really happen to your thirteen year old daughter. There are lots of ways to prevent it and I think this movie will show you the do's and don'ts. All in all it was a great movie, but scary at how real it was.

-Lindsey Hawkins

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Film Review

Maiden, Mother and Crone by Vianny Nunez

The G[r]ay Area Between Female Friendship & Sexuality