Whitywood

The other day I noticed that CNN.com had a special section titled “Gay in America,” and featured a variety of topics related to that subject. One article, “Race, ethnicity can be challenge to gay acceptance,” discussed the issue of how white homosexuality is more accepted in America than non-white homosexuality. Thinking about it, I think the author, Jamie Gumbrecht, is on to something. Think about TV couples or individuals who are homosexual. Most of them are white. That leads me into another article that was on the same news sight about four weeks ago. This article was titled, “White actors snagging minority roles causes furor.” this article discussed how most lead characters are, can you guess? Caucasian. I had not really thought about the truth of this until reading both articles. From what I have learned through my college courses, America is about 50/50 when it comes to Caucasians and minorities (Asian, Hispanic, African American, Native American, ect.) I do not know what to say about this disparity. I mean, how many more generations is it going to take for the dominating individuals that are the upper crust making movies and controlling the consumer market be replaced by a more diverse group?

http://www.cnn.com/2010/LIVING/06/23/ia.gay.acceptance/index.html?hpt=C2
http://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/Movies/06/18/color.blind.casting/index.html

Robin Apelado

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Film Review

Maiden, Mother and Crone by Vianny Nunez

The G[r]ay Area Between Female Friendship & Sexuality