Introducing Myself--Blog #1

Introduction

My name is Brandon Male and I am a senior at UCF studying Technical Communication. I am from Miami, Fl. but I have lived in the Orlando area for about the past 4 years pursuing my education at UCF. I am a Buddhist, vegetarian, and I enjoy reading, writing, and talking about different ideas. One person that I really respect is the Dalai Lama.

Throughout my time here at UCF I have been open to many different topics and I have taken a wide variety of classes, including criminal justice, political science, literature, business, education, sociology, and psychology. I figure women’s studies would be a good topic to add to my repertoire. Women, their specific struggles, and the differences and similarities between the two genders have always fascinated me. I figure that I can increase my personal worth by better understanding these topics. This is why I am enrolled in this class.

Your Life As A Girl

I enjoyed this well-written piece. I am unsure if she captures the reality of what it is like to be a girl as I have not experienced what it is like to physically be a girl growing up. I can comment on the reality of confusion that many girls must feel as they grow up. There is a particular distance between young girls and boys, this distance is sometimes increased through social tendencies. Sittenfeld describes the difference in great detail.

It is interesting how Sittenfeld alludes to a common yet unspoken inequality between boys and girls. She personally overcomes this dilemma for a short time when she comes in 6th place on the mile run at school. The boys briefly view her as a strong athlete and this makes her happy. I am wondering if this is common among many girls growing up?

Red

The stories in Red seem different from Sittenfeld’s “Your Life As A Girl.” Red seems to capture the essence of life from a multitude of young girls. Some are exploring the death of a loved pet (the horse story), others are exploring time away from home (the trip to China), and finally, some are just describing their life at home with grandma.

Both selections of text share an explorative quality that describes the young girls of today. Most of the time they are sad, confused, or happy, but what makes them unique is the desire to explore their feelings. Through this hunger for knowledge, growing and learning are easily achieved. The results of this personal growth are intelligence, sensitivity, and emotional understanding—vey important attributes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Film Review

Maiden, Mother and Crone by Vianny Nunez

The G[r]ay Area Between Female Friendship & Sexuality