GIRLPOWER!!

 

Hello, everyone!!! May I just say this is my very first blog post ever! I am very familiar with blogs, I actually follow quite a few of them, but for some reason I just have never had the courage to create my own.

 So, I guess I will start with the usual introduction… My name is Ana Alvarez, and I am currently majoring in Political Science with a minor in Legal Studies. As you can see this is clearly not a class required for my major/minor, but it caught my attention and figured it would be a very interesting class. Looking at the material, I am already loving it!!! GIRLPOWER!  My plan is to become a lawyer, right now prepping for the LSAT is my life L (taking it in Sept. 26). Although, I currently have a lot of stress in my life I try not to let it get to me. I love being active…. Exercising works as a great stress reliever for me. Spinning and kickboxing are a couple of my favorites. I am very happy with my life right now, of course it is nowhere near perfect but when will it ever be?

As, I was reading “Your Life as Girl” there were a lot of things that I was able to relate to, which is why I believe that Sittenfeld was able to effectively capture “girlhood” through her story. Sittenfeld definitely makes it clear that “girlhood” is not a walk in park; there are many ups and downs in our lives. When we are young we have no worries in the world, it is exemplified with the first sentence in Sittenfeld’s story  “In the fifth grade, you can run faster than any girl in your class.”  When we are young we just do what comes natural to us, we don’t worry about fitting in or what our peers are going to say. However, as we get older other factors come into play, and they make our life that much difficult. The main factors that seem to envelope our world are appearance and boys. We go to such extreme measures to look good that we even use “rotating silver coils that rip out hair from the root”! And we go through such torture with the hopes of finding our “true love”. It is all very fairy- tale like…although by now we have learned that life is not a fairy-tale.

 The stories written by the girls in Red relate to “Your Life as a Girl”. Sittenfeld shows the toughness about being a girl and the constant obstacles we face. The stories in Red exemplify just that! We read the stories of girls and the obstacles they have overcome. The stories show that girls have the strength and power to overcome whatever life may throw at us. These stories give me hope!! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Film Review

Maiden, Mother and Crone by Vianny Nunez

The G[r]ay Area Between Female Friendship & Sexuality