where are all the grrrlz?

"When being "young" is discursively linked with inexperience, the critiques issued by those identified as "young" become constructed as naive, disrespectful, and historically uninformed." (Eisenhaur p. 82). I have heard so many times coming either from jobs, school programs, and my parents that I'm simply too young and don't have enough "experience" yet. I think that to use this as an excuse so to not include people is the biggest cop out feminism can take. The way feminism is structured today in most feminist discourse is by using the "wave" system. First, second, and third to be exact. This structure is completely damning to what feminism is trying to accomplish in my opinion. We have alienated ourselves from each other so much that it's no wonder grrrlz are weary of becoming involved in the movement.

This so-called experience that we all need to have is a ridiculous concept. Because this of course leads to the merry-go-round of well, if I need experience how do I get it if no one will give me a chance until I have it. If more grrrlz could recognize that there is power in their youth I think they could strike a revolution completely backed just by them. Youth is one of the most terrifying things to older generations. We have new ideas, different ways of thinking, and a vitality that they once had. However I feel like grrrlz are constantly being made to feel as though they cannot participate without full "adult" supervision. Like with "New Moon" the magazine made for/by grrrlz. Even though it is completely all about grrrlz there is still the lingering adult supervision. I feel like this puts an automatic cap on some outlets of creativity even if they are not really capping it specifically.

I have met so many amazing grrrlz 18 and under who are doing so many amazing things for feminism just in groups of five or less. From small scale zine making to travelling around the country at young ages when most "adults" would say that it's a bad idea. These grrrlz are taking control of their lives in ways that we have always been told not to. I found this blogging website "All Girl Army" a while back and stumbled upon it again today. While I think it's a great example of grrrlz and womyn doing feminism it still has the constructs of the adult womyn running it. http://www.allgirlarmy.org/blog/heather/2006/06/welcome_to_the_all_girl_army

This website gives grrrlz a chance to write openly about feminism and politics and have a safe community to turn to when they need it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Film Review

Maiden, Mother and Crone by Vianny Nunez

The G[r]ay Area Between Female Friendship & Sexuality