Lost Lonely and Young

Girl studies is probably the most important part of women's studies there is, at least to women. We all were girls, we all went through that lost period in our lives where we felt alone, confused and didn't realize how young we were. When I think about what things could have been done in my family, and school, and community to make this transition better for me the first thing that comes to my mind is attention! I felt like no one paid attention to me, no one gave me the knowledge I needed, nobody came along answering the questions I had but didn't know how to ask, and nobody told me how to deal with being a girl at my age. I think girl studies is very important and I'm really glad its come to UCF. Women's issues become important at a very young age and girls can benefit from learnong more about women and topics like body issues and gender roles.

The article "Your life as a girl" really hit me into remembering that time during my life and at the time it didn't seem like that big of a deal but now that I've grown out of it I know how wrong it was. It reminded me of when I got stuck in football and basketball class for gym and I was the only girl. The teacher wouldn't let me play either sport because I was a girl and he said I couldn't keep up with the boys so he made me play volleyball which I hated and refused to play. Why was volleyball a girls sport anyway? The line where she talks about looking back at old pictures from when you thought you were fat and seeing how thin you really were was familiar to me because it seems like everytime period I remembered thinking I was much bigger than I actually was.

In All About the Girl they criticized the field of girls studies. I just feel any field recieves criticism and its a good and a bad thing, it creates changes and furthers the field. But it also sets us back, why focus on the negative?

Comments

Cristoina said…
I noticed that too how they brought about the negativities, but I think its important to explain what is wrong so then we are aware of it.A lot of the times you do not realize the problems within a movement until someone points them out. Its important to not get hung up or overly focused on our struggles, but we can better the group all together if we work to eradicate them.
Lela said…
and poking holes in theories and academic fields makes them stronger, challenging and stimulating dialogue. and of course, there will ALWAYS be critics regardless.

Popular posts from this blog

Film Review

Maiden, Mother and Crone by Vianny Nunez

The G[r]ay Area Between Female Friendship & Sexuality