Am I really a Feminist? Do I Want to Be?


Many women and girls do not think the label or movement of feminism is necessary any more. This is a result of our age, we grew up already having the right previous generations had to fight for. Those girls and women that see the need and are interested in greater freedom and equality for women, are scared to define themselves as “feminists” because of the negative connotation the word holds, even if they are doing “feminist works”. Speaking as someone who was called an idiot, dike, and bitch for declaring myself a feminist to others, I agree with the commentators that argue “Too much concern with labels interferes with our perception of the feminist work young women are actually engaging in.” (Young Feminity, 197) We need to somehow find a way to flip the word “feminist” so that it is seen in a positive light and non-threatening, or we need to adopt new words like “womanist” that are not so well-known and defined.

“Feminine things weren’t the problem; being forced to adopt them was. When we’re feeling girlie, it’s because we feel independent, irreverent, and free from judgment.” (Harris, 61) Heck ya! I struggled for a long time with how I could label myself a feminist and still buy strawberry lip gloss and high-heeled shoes. This chapter spoke to me. I too wondered why “given that girlie is associated with qualities feminists are arguing for- why then, is it so often interpreted as a rejection of feminism?” (Harris, 61) Thankfully, 3rd wave feminism seeks to allow girls and women to be more comfortable to express themselves, even if they do it with glitter and nail polish. The important thing is that I am not forced to act girlie, it is a choice I made. And after reading this chapter, I feel better about it. I am a feminist.




This is my example of a girl "doing feminism." This beautiful poem was written and posted by an 8 yr-old named Christa

http://www.newmoonmagazine.org/content/?id=342&type=2



Every girl deserves a choice

To use her mind

To use her voice

Every girl in every place

With every different kind of face

Should have a chance

To make a song

Or make a dance

That says I am strong

I am here

I am me

And this is how my world should be.

Comments

Lela said…
*love* the poem!

Re: womanism. It's important to think about the meanings of the terminology we want to adopt, i.e. humanism, womanism. Womanism in feminist theory typically refers to the convergence of race/gender, concerned with how women of color interact with/contribute to/are impacted by feminism. Humanism is not the "belief for equality of all humans," but rather a complex belief that relies on the logical/real for "truth" over the supernatural or spiritual. I often hear women express a desire to use "humanism" or another term over "feminism," and I can understand, b/c the term is so loaded. But rather than changing the terminology, I say let's reclaim it and reposition it as it was intended to be in the first place. :)
۞ Lauren said…
How easy do you think it would be to reclaim the term feminism? I mean, ideally we were perfer that over changing the terminology, but it seems almost impossible to me. What can we do, as in regular people like me, to reclaim "feminism"?
buttvalley said…
I really enjoyed all of the things you brought up in your blog. Your title caught me first; asking this slippery question that seems rarely publicly discussed in feminist circles. Considering the ways that feminism can be exclusive, etc. But you did something so awesome, you talked about how the newest understanding of feminism (at least in women's studies arenas)which is all inclusive. So yeah, how can we get all different people from all areas of study, to feel included, and to choose whether or not they want to call themselves feminists? I think as a group we don't have to identify as one thing or another, but we definitely should act strong and confident and proud of ourselves just the way we are. Thanks for your blog!

Popular posts from this blog

Film Review

Maiden, Mother and Crone by Vianny Nunez

The G[r]ay Area Between Female Friendship & Sexuality