This would be easier to type if I hadn't broken my thumb.

Did I say I broke my thumb? I meant to say if the car that hit me on my bicycle hadn't broken my thumb.

Anyways, I can still type with excess use of the "backspace" key.

If I might begin by commenting on the technical writing of the authors, I am excited to read this book because the authors specifically explain their understanding of complexity involved in creating an academic discourse within the socially-constructed framework of girl studies.

As for the subject itself. I personally am very excited to study and learn it. I myself was a girl in "girlhood" and most of the time had no idea what was going on. A further delving into the workings of a society in which we live is always exciting, and one on Girl Studies is (unfortunately) an uncommon one. "...asking how girls from various social backgrounds and in different cultural contexts resist and adapt to the contradictory discourses surrounding femininity and youth as a lifephase in the Western world. " I read this and realized that being white, middle-class Western (although Half-Chinese, which adds a marginalized differencing factor) I exist with a privilege of belonging to the hegemonic world-system. "The controlling image of girlhood tends to be that of the dominant social group, that is, white, middle-class, heterosexual, and able-bodies." TRUE!

Honestly I've only read up to page eight in Young Femininity (which cost thirty bucks- woo!) but that's my definition and expectations of the course. I'll have it all read by noon on Wednesday; right now I'm going to go take another Vicodin and finish painting my bathroom.

Advocate Feminism!
Ashl

Comments

Cristoina said…
The hegemonic thing hit me too, and it sucks that i had to read it to realize it all over again. It makes me mad at myself because that saying of those with privilege dont recognize that they have it. Its true that so many films portray the typical white middle class girl with a wide array of problems, but we never really see those same problems form another point of view form another side of the world.

Popular posts from this blog

Film Review

Maiden, Mother and Crone by Vianny Nunez

The G[r]ay Area Between Female Friendship & Sexuality