Maternal Health

 

Maternal and Child Health

            In 2010, I was 13 years old when my aunt Cindy had her second child, a little girl named Serenity. My aunt was the first person in my family that I had been around when they were pregnant so I was able to witness her getting morning sickness, having cravings, feet getting swollen, and her stomach growing with each passing month until she eventually had her daughter. Just like she did with her first child, my aunt needed a C-section but since she had scar tissue from her previous delivery, it took the doctors a while to get Serenity out. I was so distracted by the adorable baby girl in her arms that I didn’t really pay much attention to the fact that she had to deliver her child in a different method. In my mind, she just gave birth and that was natural so it wasn’t a big deal that she had a C-section. It wasn’t really until she had her third and last child about two years later that I realized she was putting her body and life at risk. With her last pregnancy, she once again had to have a C-section and told us that her doctors strongly advise her to never get pregnant again or she risks her life as well as her child’s. She made it very clear to her husband that they had three kids and she would not be putting her life on the line for one more child and risk her life or child’s and leave him alone with three kids.

            At this point, pregnancy became a bit scary for me. Especially as I learned about pregnancy stories from the other women in my family. My mom had three kids but my older brother had the worst pregnancy and resulted in her getting postpartum depression. My mom went into the hospital and before she knew it, my brother's heart had suddenly stopped and doctors and nurses rushed to her side and saved my brother but resulted in my mother tearing so horribly that she needed 40 stitches. She had a four-year girl to take care of as well and my dad and Grandmother had to help out for months as my mother came home and was seemingly just gone and unresponsive to everyone. After a few weeks, she got better but she struggles remembering what happened for the first few weeks of my brother’s life. When she became pregnant with me nine years later, she states it was the most calm, peaceful, and easiest recovery she had. In her case she started with a great first pregnancy, a traumatic second pregnancy, and then a great and final pregnancy.

After watching the film Sister: Working to Improve Global Maternal Health, I became very grateful for living in place where we had proper care and resources for expecting mothers. The film follows pregnant women and maternal workers in Ethiopia, Cambodia and Haiti as they struggle with the crisis of maternal and newborn mortality with lack of money, transport, communication, and education. This is a film I saw once but it was enough to leave an impact on me and break my heart for these parents and children who are struggling with things we take for advantage. We meet several people with their own stories and backgrounds such as Philomene Jocien Gracias, a traditional birth attendant that has helped women deliver babies since she was 12 years old. We meet a father named Yeang Yul who is now a widower after his wife died when her placenta didn’t pass after childbirth, leaving him with three children. There is also Houy Chandy who has helped provide transport for women who cannot get to hospitals and are at risk of dying. We come face to face with the harsh realities of 1 in 4,800 women dying from childbirth-related causes in the US but these numbers are numbers in comparison to Cambodia and Haiti, where the numbers are 1 in 44 and 1 in 48 women.

            Not everyone is the same when it comes to their pregnancies and postpartum. As I got older, medical care started to become more important to me and opened my eyes to how there is much to improve on but also much to be grateful for. Living in America, my aunt was able to go through three C-sections and have three healthy babies and my big brother survived after his heart had suddenly stopped when my mom was in labor. While it was intense, both women and their children survived and are still healthy to this day. America isn’t perfect when it comes to its medical care and that’s made clear as millions of people fight for better health care, child care, and abortion rights. It’s terrifying to imagine places such as Ethiopia, Cambodia and Haiti struggling with things such as transportation to go to hospitals for the proper care they need and how mothers struggle to even provide food for their infants as some cannot afford formula or create breastmilk. The film Sisters concludes that, with access to appropriate care, 95% of the pregnancy and childbirth related deaths are preventable so I hope that as we continue to develop that we can go and help other countries that are in desperate need of help and prevent the unnecessary loss of a woman and child.

 

References

Sister: Working to Improve Global Maternal Health. (2013). Kanopy. Retrieved April 26, 2022,

from https://www.kanopy.com/en/ucf/video/245219.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Film Review

Maiden, Mother and Crone by Vianny Nunez

The G[r]ay Area Between Female Friendship & Sexuality