Greetings and salutations

Hello, my name is Hickory and I am a senior with a major in English Lit. and a minor in Women's Studies. I work a super full time job, take a full course load at the Orlando campus, workout like a freak, am recently divorced and take care of a small petting zoo at home (2 dogs, a cat, a rabbit and a blue and gold macaw). When I am not working, at the gym or cleaning up after my menagerie, I like to read. Imagine that, a literature major who likes to read! I am also big into music and of course movies. I am taking this course not only to satisfy my minor requirements but also to learn more about the trials of girls today. It has been awhile since I was a girl.

I have to say, Sitteneld’s story did not sound familiar to me at all. I was not any of those things when I was a girl. I didn’t react as this girl did and I did not engage in the same ludicrous activities. I was actually disgusted by the girl in the story. I just could not believe that someone would let themselves be treated that way and would focus so much on their own self hatred. Maybe it has been a long time since I was a girl, but I really don’t remember ever acting like that. Now, the stories in Red I did understand. Although I certainly could not relate to summers in the Hamptons, I could relate to the feelings and thoughts of these girls. Even the story of the girl obsessed with climbing, although I have never been on any kind of team like that or participated heavily in a sport. These stories seemed to convey larger ideas about coming of age lessons and broader thoughts on how girls learn to value things in life. Sittenfeld’s story was a look at the uglier inner workings of a girl and her battle with her self identity and desires. I can’t relate. I have always been straightforward and honest about who I am, what I think and what I want. I have always tried to be honest with myself. I’ll admit, this approach has left me somewhat jaded as I loathe hypocrisy and see it everywhere. But, I take pride in the fact that people know I will always tell them the truth, even when they don’t want to hear it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Film Review

Maiden, Mother and Crone by Vianny Nunez

Preconceived Pink Box