Living in a Ghost World

  I just recently watched Ghost World, and I never thought about toxic friendships before it was brought up in class. Ghost World definitely portrayed the ideal toxic friendship, where Enid and Rebecca both wanted things to stay the way they have always been in their relationship. I do blame Enid for many things that happened, because it was obvious that she was not at all happy with herself, and that she wanted Rebecca to also be on the same level. For example, in the very beginning of the movie where they were at the dance, and a boy came up to Rebecca to talk to her and he would not even look at Enid, it was obvious that Enid was bothered by this, and pulled Rebecca away to go talk about someone. The toxic friends out there are the ones that do not want to see their friends succeed or to have a significant other, because misery loves company. My mom has always told me that, and I see that to be true more and more as I get older. I know even for me personally, I love when good things happen to my friends, because I feel like they are happening to me, but sometimes it is difficult to have someone around when they are at a high peak in their life, and you are at a low one. You always want people to be at your same level. 
When I was a young girl, friendships were extremely important (as they are now), but it was in a different way, because it came down to popularity and comfort most of the time. Toxic friendships really take a toll on anyone, especially being young and not realizing that this isn't healthy. It is difficult, because there are not many good representations of healthy friendships in movies and t.v. shows. They are either about girls forming an alliance against someone else, or two girls just separating themselves from everyone and relying solely on one another for happiness, and not allowing progression in life. By having these portrayals shown to us our entire lives, this is how we think it should be, and it's not. Girls need to have good examples of healthy friendships, and the enriching benefits that come from that deep connection with a close friend that truly loves and cares for you. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Film Review

Maiden, Mother and Crone by Vianny Nunez

Preconceived Pink Box